Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage questions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hayley

Hayley Report 22 Oct 2003 15:00

Is there away on the internet that you can look up to see when and if people got married, i have tried freebmd and LDS but cant seem to get anywhere. I have found out back to my great great grandad but cant find out whether any of his children married or year of death.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Oct 2003 15:14

Hi, Free BMD is not yet complete and there are many parish records not on the IGI. After 1837 all BMDs are likely to be on the full GRO index. There is a pay to view website or you can search the index free at Record Offices, larger libraries and LDS centres. There are a few parish records on line but not many. To search parish records you need to go to the county record office or order a film of the records at an LDS centre. It's impossible to do genealogy just by using a computer, so little is available on the web - you really have to visit record offices etc. Gwynne

Hayley

Hayley Report 22 Oct 2003 15:24

OK i will check out the local library. I think that because i have found out quite a lot in ahort amount of time im just expecting things to fall into my lap, i dont think this is going to happen though!