Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Abbreviation for ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 22 Oct 2003 06:46

I just did a GC search for a rellie and it popped up two with the same name. One had Lncs for an abbreviation. Is that LANCS or LINC? Sorry, I am not too good with UK abbreviations! Sonja

Dauna

Dauna Report 22 Oct 2003 07:33

Lancs is Lancashire and Lincs is Lincolnshire, both counties. Do you have a town name? Dauna

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 22 Oct 2003 08:56

Duana; The town is Artly Bridge. I know the standard abbreviations that you mentioned but the Lncshr got me wondering! Thanks Sonja

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 22 Oct 2003 08:57

Sorry .... new keyboard! That should have been Dauna!! My humble apologies! Sonja :)

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Oct 2003 20:14

Hi Sonja There is an Astley Bridge in Lancashire near to Bolton. Wendy

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 22 Oct 2003 21:40

Thank you Wendy, much appreciated! I need Lincolnshire, not Lancashire so you have saved me a contact!! They way mine are going lately, they just don't reply :( Sonja