Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One way of making it pay?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 01:33

On the 1901 census, ask people to give you the name, age and location of an ancestor. You will then send them a list of all possibles (without household members) for them to pick one. They tell you which one, and you send them the details of that household. How much would you charge? http://cgi(.)ebay(.)co(.)uk/ws/eBayISAPI(.)dll?ViewItem&item=2958945343&category=318

Crista

Crista Report 22 Oct 2003 01:47

Carol, 2.50 pounds seems a bit steep. For another 2.50 you could do it yourself and get 10 household lookups. Crista

Crista

Crista Report 22 Oct 2003 02:20

Carol, OMG is this your listing on eBay? I didn't mean to offend. Crista

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 03:10

No, not mine, I was just browsing and came across it. I wouldn`t have the nerve.

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 22 Oct 2003 06:43

Oh Max! I am truly mortified!! Do you mean if I asked you to do a look up for me of Smith, 1880s (I think) somewhere in England, you would decline????? <SOB SOB> Now I will definately have to smother you in choc and toss you in coconut! Hmmmmmm ....Could I list that service on e-bay and just how much would I charge??? I'M JOKING!!!!! I often wonder how some GC angels cope when I see their offers and the see HEAPS of asks! Max... you would be one... how on earth do you do everyone elses and then your own??? Sonja

Lucky

Lucky Report 23 Oct 2003 10:17

Unfortunately some people do go over the top. I offered to find out about a church as I live in the area somebody was asking about. This went on with can you get a photo of the grave, the house etc., etc. I did it but then was asked about searching newspaper archives for another death. I had to call a halt then. Today, after answering somebody asking about a school near where I live, I have received a photo and letter asking not just the original info, but would I mind taking photos of 6 different addresses, war memorial etc., as well as looking for a newspaper report. It does sometimes get out of hand. He has offered to pay for a film and isn't offended if I can't do it but I wouldn't dream of asking somebody for all that. I feel guilty asking for a look up and will only do it if I have exhausted other avenues first.

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 23 Oct 2003 10:32

anyone that offers to do look ups are angels,but like in my case i only had a name as everyone knows( my dad) and that he was from manchester so sometimes info people have is limited.ive asked for a disc the 2003 one for christmas so hopefully i'll be able to help people out like so many helped me.does anyone know the best disc's to buy?? tina xx

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 23 Oct 2003 10:39

if you think about how much money these companys charge for doing ancestor searches for you. Just think how rich you could be right now Max????? Some people do it for money some people do it because they just like helping people. I definately think Max is the latter, such the star that she is. SO if we do ask requests of her, I think we should narrow it down as much as we can and give her as much info as we can, otherwise why bother asking at all. She does have her own look ups as well, and she can't spend all her time looking up for others, how ever great she is. :o)