Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW MUCH?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Oct 2003 00:19

Can anyone tell me how much local census discs cost, where I get them from and what do I ask for??? Heard people saying they've purchased some and thought it may be a good investment. Thanks Wend

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 00:51

Depends on what area you want. Prices are anything from £20 to £40, but there are some good bargains on ebay. Just put genealogy in the search box.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Oct 2003 07:15

Hi, Glamorgan FHS and Powys FHS (for example) both produce indexed transcriptions of censuses for £12 - £15. The indexing and transcription is done by FHS members. The discs are full searchable. The expensive ones tend to be scans of the original documents which means you don't have to double check with the original but few are indexed and some (especially any 1841 censuses) are very hard to read. I have bought several FHS discs but find the others rather expensive so I order films of the census at the LDS when I know the parish. I sometmes think those asking for look ups (with no address) have no idea how big a favour they are asking. It took me over 6 hours searching at the LDS to find my family in Ebbw Vale in 1871. It was chocolates all round the following week! Gwynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Oct 2003 07:50

Hi, I have the 1881 which I bought from the LDS. I cost £30 for 25 CD's. I think its really worth buying. I have found it really useful for myself and to help others. And it even includes SCOTLAND :o))) Regards Margaret

Barbara

Barbara Report 22 Oct 2003 13:53

I've been slowly investing in census discs but it can get pricey. For example, Cheshire FHS have 1851 on disc, but for the Wirral you have to get two discs to cover the whole area each costing 20 pounds. On Sunday I went to a fh fair and Stepping Stones were there. I bought the whole of Cheshire 1841 census for £32.50 Its not very searchable so just like at the library you spend a lot of time scrolling through, but at least you can do it at home! Cheshire also have 1871 so again I have purchased my area only. I can't wait for them to do 1861 Join as many mailing lists as you can because you get other tips from people searching your area. I was sent a transcription of part of the 1891 census for Hoylake which was a great help. You can also find more sites that are relevant to your area rather than the more general tips and links you get here. (Tho they are invaluable!!) You just might save a bit of money! Barbara