Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census index WRONG. BURNS actuall CANE or CARE on

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katie

Katie Report 21 Oct 2003 23:49

I have just been searching the ancestry 1891 census and on the same page as my BURNS family there is a whole lot of BURNS names that had been transcribed. I was really excited by this and viewed the census page only to find that the transcriber had misread the whole families details! The BURNS family stops at one household (mine) and the next house is a completely different family named CARE or CANE! The transcriber obiously missed the new surname! No wonder we cannot find our ancestors! I am just about to leave a message on the CARE and CANE trying to finds but here is a link to the image. Good Luck everyone - just don't discount census entries because the surname is wrong - CHECK PAGE FIRST! If you copy/paste this link it should work to show the CARE/CANE family, the 'maggie' which is the top entry is a BURNS but you can see that there is a new family after her brother! http://content.ancestry.com/iexec?f=getimage&r=an&dbid=6598&path=Hampshire.Portsea.Landport.69.25&mac=iaCOF3MS8I1ocmcS8fFryD&vx=278&vy=633&vw=556&vh=422&zp=75&iq=0&qf=qs&rc=

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 00:07

Are you using a wide screen TV? I might just be a cynic, but they get their money anyway, so why should they worry about it.

Katie

Katie Report 22 Oct 2003 00:14

Hi Carol - looks like a widescreen doesn't it (I wish!) but I think it must be the link offsetting things! :0) I agree about Ancestry, but the transcribers are volunteers like FREEBMD and I just thought that people should know about the mistake because I have scoured the 1891 for my rellies and cannot find some of them on census returns. Maybe this is why eh?! I have left 'trying to find' messages on the CARE and CANE messageboards so hopefully the right peple will see the info. Shame though - I couldn't even find a link to report the error to ancestry...as you say, they don't need to care. Best Wishes, -Kat