Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help re Police Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 21 Oct 2003 21:59

My ancestor was a policeman in Northants. Just found his early death in 1866 age 36. How do I find if he died "on the job" so to speak (you know what I mean)

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Oct 2003 22:03

Hi, Think this site is something to do with Police Ancestors, good luck!!! www.esatclear.ie/~garda/genealogy.html Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Oct 2003 22:05

Sorry, Just had a quick look and that appears to be the Irish police!! Type police genealogy into search and try some of those, hope it helps. Sarah

Mary

Mary Report 21 Oct 2003 22:05

Julie this is the only web site that I have.You will have to register but I don't think it costs. www.policeorders.co.uk-welcome.aspx the site was advertised in a family genealogy magazine. Mary

Julie

Julie Report 21 Oct 2003 22:14

Thanks All Will try them all out

Julie

Julie Report 21 Oct 2003 22:33

Have tried all sites given but not getting anywhere. Either not existing or gives info on current criminal preventative initiatives etc which is just annoying coz crime is only getting worse anyway and all they can think about is catching you on speed cameras and blah de blah. Having got that off my chest any other suggestions would be appreciated..................

Julie

Julie Report 21 Oct 2003 22:37

Thanks Francis That sounds interesting. When you say contact HQ where do you mean. Is there a central place for police in each county? Thanks for any indfo Julie

Julie

Julie Report 21 Oct 2003 22:41

Hi Francis, No Im not local to Northants so not sure where to go Regards Julie

Julie

Julie Report 21 Oct 2003 22:53

Thank Frances for your help. Ill ring round tomorrow and see what I can find out. He must have died whilst in the force and it will be interesting to collect any info from them. Ive ordered his death certificate so that might give some indication as to cause of death as well. regards Julie

Valerie

Valerie Report 22 Oct 2003 00:40

Hi Julie. I have just got the police records of my uncle, if you write to :- Metropolitan Police Museum c/o Territorial Policing Headquarters 4th Floor, Victoria Embankment London SW1A 2JL They hold all the records of police men/women that have died during employmen or even after they have retired. It takes a few week for them to come back with the information, but it is worth it and I found them very helpful. Good luck Valerie

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Oct 2003 08:32

Hi, Do you have his death cert? The cause of death may tell you whether or not he died at work. It may also tell you if there was an inquest. A lot of inquest papers are lost but there will almost certainly be newspaper reports at the time of his death and following the inquest. Hope this helps, Gwynne

Steph

Steph Report 22 Oct 2003 14:55

try the Genuki Northants site, good stuff on there, I think there's a link to newspapers aswell. I am in Northampton, is there anything I can help you with specifically? e-mail me direct. Steph

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Oct 2003 19:56

Hi Julie There is a memorial planned with names of officers who have been killed whilst in service. Try their website at www(.)policememorial(.)org(.)uk I think there is the name and address of someone who might be able to help. Or maybe contacting the Police Review who published the names which could be listed on the planned memorial. Their site is www(.)policereview(.)com. Good luck Wendy

Sinead

Sinead Report 22 Oct 2003 20:02

Hi Julie, You could try the local record office because I know Glamorgan Record Office hold police details and diaries maybe Northants do too- might be worth a phone call . Good luck,Sinead

Julie

Julie Report 22 Oct 2003 20:46

Thank you all so much for your help. I have printed off all your suggestions and will definately follow them up. Frances - I did contact Northants Police HQ as you suggested and have written off to a retired police inspector (like you did) and the records office to see if they can help. I have lots to go on now thanks to all of you. Regards Julie