Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 Welsh Census lookup Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 21 Oct 2003 17:55

Please could anyone with access to the 1891 census look up the following: Winifred Florence Thomas (born about 1879) and her father William Thomas. Probably in the Swansea area. I know its not much to go on, but it is all the info I have. Many Many Thanks Jeannie

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 21 Oct 2003 20:42

Can anyone help, pretty please? Jeannie

Stan

Stan Report 21 Oct 2003 21:47

Hi, Jeannie Not much luck with this so far. No Winifred Florence Thomas. One Winifred F Thomas, aged 10, father's name not correct. Quite a lot of Winifred Thomases, but age needed more accurately to check, really. If the year of birth is from the LDS website, bear in mind that they seem only to be right for births in the first quarter. LDS practice seems to calculate from the age assuming it is age at the birthday in the census year, whereas in Britain we use age last birthday. Should we be looking for age 12 or age 13? Stan

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 22 Oct 2003 17:24

Thanks for looking Stan. Winifred died in 1915 aged 36 hence it is thought she was born around 1879. I have been unable to locate her on the two other available census or on FreeBMD as it appears that 1879 Thomas's have not been transcribed. Thanks again Jeannie

Michelle

Michelle Report 22 Oct 2003 17:44

Could this be then in the 1891 census Thomas, Elizabeth Relationship: Wife County: Glamorgan Age: 34 Civil Parish: Swansea Gender: Female ED: 14 Where Born: Pembrokeshire, Saundersfoot Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/4479 Town: Swansea Folio: 71 Page: 22 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thomas, Ellen Relationship: Daughter County: Glamorgan Age: 5 Civil Parish: Swansea Gender: Female ED: 14 Where Born: Glamorgan, Swansea Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/4479 Town: Swansea Folio: 71 Page: 22 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thomas, Frank Relationship: Son County: Glamorgan Age: 9 Civil Parish: Swansea Gender: Male ED: 14 Where Born: , Birmingham Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/4479 Town: Swansea Folio: 71 Page: 22 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thomas, Leslie Relationship: Son County: Glamorgan Age: 10 Civil Parish: Swansea Gender: Male ED: 14 Where Born: Pembrokeshire, Saundersfoot Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/4479 Town: Swansea Folio: 71 Page: 22 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thomas, William Relationship: Head County: Glamorgan Age: 41 Civil Parish: Swansea Gender: Male ED: 14 Where Born: Pembrokeshire, Saundersfoot Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/4479 Town: Swansea Folio: 71 Page: 22 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thomas, Winifred Relationship: Daughter County: Glamorgan Age: 13 Civil Parish: Swansea Gender: Female ED: 14 Where Born: Pembrokeshire, Saundersfoot Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/4479 Town: Swansea Folio: 71 Page: 22 Michelle

Stan

Stan Report 22 Oct 2003 20:07

Hi, Jeannie I've now had a look on "1837". There is only one Winifred Florence Thomas registered between January 1877 and December 1879: Jul-Sep 1877, Thomas, Winifred Florence, Narberth 11a 852. I believe this must be the correct registration district for Saundersfoot (distance 6 miles), so the family identified by Michelle would be the correct one. It is interesting to note, therefore, that the informant about her death did not know her age correctly! Best wishes Stan

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 22 Oct 2003 20:13

Thank you so much Michelle and Stan. I will see if these 'fit'. Strange, I looked at FreeBMD yesterday and couldn't find a Winifred Thomas, in fact there were no Thomas's born in 1879????!!!!!!! jeannie

Stan

Stan Report 22 Oct 2003 20:47

Freee BMD's statistics show 70% coverage of births for 1877, but about 1% or 2% for 1878 and 1879. That is why I used "1837" (Family research Link), as I have enough units left to do so without thinking about it particularly, at present. Stan

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 23 Oct 2003 06:01

Thanks again Stan. Jeannie