Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cornelius to Connor?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vicky

Vicky Report 21 Oct 2003 16:47

I mean I like the name cornelius but would he have changed it to Connor, Marriage cert says Cornelius but cencus says Connor what do you think. Got my Certificate today I was soooooo excited I rushed home from work to see who was the father of my Thomas and yea you guessed its another Thomas I had this a few mothhs ago but with Johns! thanks Vicky

Carol

Carol Report 21 Oct 2003 16:53

Connor is a name in its own right, but could be used as a short form of Cornelius, which is a bit of a mouthful. Well Connor is better than Corny

Maxine

Maxine Report 21 Oct 2003 17:07

It seems to be a case of whoever answered the door and their variation on the name!

Carol

Carol Report 21 Oct 2003 17:09

For some reason my g grandfather was born Walter Francis and died Walter Thomas.

Patricia

Patricia Report 21 Oct 2003 18:42

Our Parish Priest was called Cornelius but was known as Father Con, so it is only a short step to Connor. My friend's son is called Cornelius but is known as Neil. Pat

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Oct 2003 19:27

One of my great grandfathers was named Gilford, but on his Marriage certificate & my grandmothers birth certificate he calls himself Sidney Gilford. His brother Ivan called himself Frederick Ivan. What his other brother Silvanus called himself I don't know!! One great grandmother called Agnes was known as Amelia (in one census her name is given as Avril) my great aunt Alice was known as Nell, two GG aunts named Elizabeth and Sarah were known as Kate and Ada. My uncle Bill's real name is Charles. I'm desperately trying to find GGGgrandfather, called Jarrett at his marriage (pre 1937) - no success after 5 years looking. I bet Jarrett wasn't his name! Cornelius to Connor? It would be far too logical for my family!

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 22 Oct 2003 20:42

My sister's father-in-law was also Cornelius but known as Con. Maz. XX