Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PORTSMOUTH RECORDS OFFICE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 21 Oct 2003 16:35

I will be going to the records office this week if any one want me to look anything up. the office hold the records not only for Portsmouth but for Gosport too! Eileen

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 21 Oct 2003 17:13

Eileen you beauty! took me completely by surprise - I need so much - but will be gentle on you, as you are so kind - will deliberate and cogitate and decide which is the most important - Suters of Alverstoke here we come!!!! Back soon Thanks Jacqui

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Oct 2003 17:16

Eileen, Do I dare ask you again, you were such a help before? My Great grandmother Charlotte Martin (she married Seth Allen in 1869 and died in 1929 at Gosport all documented) was christened on 6 July 1851 at Alverstoke. I haven't found a birth for her yet but according to the IGI her parents were Thomas and Charlotte Martin (possibly nee Fennell). I know the next step is to get her birth certificate but if you come across any info on Charlotte or her parents I would be grateful. The other person I am interested in now is Richard Cox who I guess was probably born around 1800 as his son Jessie was born in 1819. If you should come across a birth for him or a marriage to Margaret Grady It would be great. Very many thanks for anything at all you can come up with. Ann

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 21 Oct 2003 17:28

Hiya Eileen - could you see what you can find on the following please? no problems if you don't have enough time. Marriage of Florence Elizabeth Harding Suter Dec.qrt 1898 - who was the groom? I've tried both males on FreeBMD on the 1901 and cannot draw any conclusions. Death of Eliza Suter June qrt 1897 - this lady was on FreeBMD earlier in the year and then disappeared (as she does regularly out of my shorthand pad - she doesn't want to be discovered and I'm determined to get her Death Cert.) Mother and Father of Winifred Suter born Dec.qrt 1897 - I'm wondering if this child was the illigitimate offspring of either Florence (as above) or perhaps her brother George (my grandad). Any clue would be useful. Any info would be appreciated really. Thanks so much Jacqui

Deborah

Deborah Report 21 Oct 2003 18:27

Hi Eileen, Have e-mailed you direct, as it looks such a jumble on here. Debbie

Susan

Susan Report 21 Oct 2003 19:27

Hi eileen Could you do a look up for me please George Edwin Riddle DoB 1931/3 DoD1931/3 parents Herbert Edwin Riddle (Sailor) Edith Alice Riddle(Nee Adams) born 11 "Nirvana" Rydel Road Elson Gosport Thanks Sue

Crista

Crista Report 21 Oct 2003 22:21

Hi Eileen, Sue, what a coincidence. I am looking for Riddles too. Eileen, I've no idea what's involved in this but I'm looking for Riddles born to Frank and Frances Selina Riddle (nee Sutton) in the Fratton area from 1901-1911. I imagine they would be in parish records but I have no idea how big a deal this is. I'm worried that I'm asking too much. If it's any help they had a daughter called Winifred Eleanor in the first quarter of 1899 and were living at 17 Fratton Grove in 1901. Sometimes the mother is Frances Selina and other times she is Selina Frances. Please don't worry about this if this is too big a task. Thanks, Crista

Linda

Linda Report 22 Oct 2003 00:54

Hello Eileen, I would be very, very grateful if you could find any information on William Grant (Father James Grant) both sailors. William was born c1884/5 - on his marriage certificate (Nov.24th 1917 he was age 32, bachelor residing Portsmouth). Not very much to go on so I will understand if you don't have the time to think about it! Many thanks for the kind offer. Linda.

Eileen

Eileen Report 22 Oct 2003 22:19

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to everyone, but for some strange reason i couldn't access the internet. I will be going to the office on Friday so will post findings in the evening. Eileen in Portsmouth

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Oct 2003 12:24

Eileen, If you find anything for me and post it don't worry if you don't hear from me until Sunday/ Monday as we are off this afternoon for the weekend. I have sent for Charlotte Allen's Birth cert, she was born in Spt quarter 1848 Alverstoke. Thanks in advance for anything you may find and for all your hard work on our behalf. Ann Glos