Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mass exodus? Suggestions appreciated.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 21 Oct 2003 16:19

At the risk of sounding ignorant, would anyone know if there was a reason why 12 out of 16 of my gt-gt-grandparents left England and Ireland around 1850? Obviously, the Irish had their famines, and the English economy was suffering, but has anyone heard of Canada enticing people to come over? It just seems odd to me that so many left within a 5+ year period. Also, does anyone know of a website I may check (free or paying) to find out exactly when they either left England/Ireland or arrived in Canada? (Would have been too early for Ellis Island.) I'm off to work now. Thanks so much.

Dave

Dave Report 21 Oct 2003 16:45

Hi Lisa, You could try www(.)archives(.)ca - remove brackets. This is a Canadian Archives site with links to Immigration records. Not sure how comprehensive they are though. Dave

BrianW

BrianW Report 21 Oct 2003 16:54

Tiny Blur wasn't PM then, by any chance? LOL

Carol

Carol Report 21 Oct 2003 16:54

Lisa, I have emailed you some links

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 22 Oct 2003 08:00

Thanks so much for your suggestions, and humour. I've begun searching and will continue tomorrow!

Bob

Bob Report 22 Oct 2003 08:29

Lisa You may find this site interesting: news.bbc(.)co.uk/hi/english/events/northern_ireland/ history/newsid_60000/60767.stm Also, since you are from california: www.siskiyouhistory.org/1850.htm

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 22 Oct 2003 08:41

Hi Bob. I tried accessing the website, but am having problems (page not found). By fiddling around I can get on the BBC News site, but not where you recommended. Any suggestions? It's rather late here (12:45 am) so I may not send another thank you tonight (should you happen to see this and respond tonight). Thanks so much for the main site, though -- looks interesting. PS: I live in California, but we're from Canada. Appreciate the Siskiyou site though, as I love history. We have been to a few American Indian sites and I found them fascinating. Thanks for this suggestion, as well.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Oct 2003 08:57

Hi, The industrail revolution was in full swing and many traditional agricultural jobs were no longer labour intensive. Similarly weaving and other jobs were done by machines. Many of those whose jobs were lost went abroad in search of work. Gwynne

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 22 Oct 2003 09:05

Gwynne: Aha! I never would have thought of that reason, yet I remember reading about that years ago. Makes total sense, as I know some of my ancestors were farmers and corn factors. Thanks so much. Now I'm off to bed!