Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

previous house owners

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Oct 2003 13:58

has anybody else tried finding their own address on census returns? Whiled away about 3 days 'walking' Oswestry census returns for 81, 91 and 01. Surprised to find entries for all three returns for our present address. Spooky to think Mrs Cartwright (occupier in 1881) may have slept in my room sometime in the past. Having sold this house recently, do I keep information to myself, or pass it onto next occupant. Also, could photos found under floorboards be actual residents?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Oct 2003 14:02

Sandra How exciting! I would be inclined to pass on the info you have to the next owners (keeping a copy for yourself of course). What a nice welcoming present. As for the photo's, they could be ex-residents or their friends and family. Jeanette

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 21 Oct 2003 15:10

Sandra, Why don't you put the info you have on the Ex residents site. It has an historical/Ancesters address section. Could prove very useful for researchers if enough people use it. Kathy

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 21 Oct 2003 17:48

Tracing the house history can be fascinating. I did our some years ago - just went to the County Records Office and asked them to do a search on the house name and they came up with a bundle of papers. That led me to some over 80's living in the next village who had live d here in the early 1900's and were able to tell my children how lucky they were to have a room each - 5 had slept in two beds in one room when they lived here! They came again this year - the eldest is now 96 and feared it may be his last visit. So I do have a little history and some photo's of previous occupants. It was an interesting journey that took me back to about 1650! So........for those of you in older houses.if you ever get bored with the family tree........... Sylvie

Alison

Alison Report 21 Oct 2003 18:14

Why not try this website - it is very new at the moment but you might strike lucky and if you add the details that you know of your house laready you might gind someone else does the same for you! www(.)myoldhouse(.)co.uk Alison