Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

gg grandad in clink

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 21 Oct 2003 13:46

Hi,have just found entry on 1881 census that is possibly my gg grandfather.He is in Portland Prison,any ideas how I can find out more info on him,like what he was in for,how long, could he have been transported. Many Thanks Kathleen

Heather

Heather Report 21 Oct 2003 13:58

Hi Kathleen, i dont know for sure but as the Prison is still there on Portland (or at least the boys version) perhaps the prison authorities might have some records hevi

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 21 Oct 2003 15:17

Thanks Hevi, Will try that ,he is proving to be hard to track down. Kathleen

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Oct 2003 15:31

Kathleen - have u looked on 1891?? jude

Carol

Carol Report 21 Oct 2003 15:56

If you dont have access to 1891 Kathleen, give me a name and I will look for you.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 21 Oct 2003 16:43

Thanks Jude and Carol, Did try 1891 when I had free trial ages ago,but would be very grateful if you could look again Carole. Samuel Stoneley born c 1830 Cheshire, various spellings Ive got for him Stonley/Stonely/Stonly Stoneleigh and once found his son under Stanley. He is a widower on 1881, occupation labourer,on his marriage cert he is a Sawyer Journeyman. Possible places he is living at are Cheshire/Lancashire/ and Dorset when he was in prison, Many Thanks Kathleen

Carol

Carol Report 21 Oct 2003 17:07

Tried every spelling, but cant find anyone of the right age born in Cheshire. Might be just me though

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 21 Oct 2003 17:11

Thanks very much Carole, we were told he was born in Yorkshire,but the only one I have found has been this one from Cheshire,wonder what he had done to end up in prison Thanks Again Kathleen

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Oct 2003 17:28

Are you sure he is an inmate and not working at the prison as a warder or handyman or something? Ann Glos

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 21 Oct 2003 18:01

Hi Anne, it says convict,Im trying to find out where he lived prior to this ,could of been anywhere I suppose,very hard for family to visit him,as his son was in Liverpool at this time. Kathleen