Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help me find my ggrandfathers birth - Cornw

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 21 Oct 2003 03:53

Can someone please help me to sort out when my ggrandfather was born so I can get his birth certificate. The information I was given by family says he was born in 1857 at Falmouth. His marriage certificate gives his birth year as 1863. His headstone lists him as being aged 40 when he died which would make the year 1858. In the 1871 census he is listed as born in Gwennap in 1854. Can anyone do a lookup for me and find his exact date/year of birth. His parents were Walter Chapman and Maria Merrifield who were married in Falmouth in 1840. Residence of Walter was St Enoder, Maria listed as Falmouth. Thank you. Irene

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 21 Oct 2003 07:56

Hi Irene, Have you looked at the GRO index? It will probably be there. Gwynne

Janet

Janet Report 21 Oct 2003 12:08

There are no Chapman births in Falmouth recorded on BMD. An awful lot are recorded in Cornwall between 1857 and 1863, if you give his first name we may be able to help you. Jan.

Irene

Irene Report 21 Oct 2003 19:53

Hi. I am so sorry I missed off his name. Lifes a bit hectic at the moment. On his marriage certificate his name is James Henry Chapman. I have been told he could have been named Francis Henry but we have always known him as James Henry Chapman. James emigrated to New Zealand on the ship Inverene arriving in Napier New Zealand in 1874. He married Clara Alma Carne in Napier NZ Sept 1881. Thank you for helping me. Irene in NZ

Crista

Crista Report 21 Oct 2003 20:16

Hi Irene, Sure you probably have this on his family from the 1881, but I'll give it to you just in case. Walter CHAPMAN Head M Male 59 Gwennap, Cornwall, England Blacksmith Maria CHAPMAN Wife M Female 57 Gwennap, Cornwall, England Phillippa CHAPMAN Daur U Female 17 Gwennap, Cornwall, England Willia CHAPMAN Daur Female 14 Gwennap, Cornwall, England Scholar Edith CHAPMAN Daur Female 12 Gwennap, Cornwall, England Scholar -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 3 Carnon Gate Census Place Feock, Cornwall, England Crista

Crista

Crista Report 21 Oct 2003 20:28

Irene, Gwennap is in the Redruth district. Crista

John

John Report 21 Oct 2003 20:47

Irene This info comes from the 1871 census Position Marital Name in Family Status Age CHAPMAN, WALTER Head M 47 CHAPMAN, MARIA Wife M 43 CHAPMAN, ROBERT Son U 19 CHAPMAN, JAMES H Son - 17 CHAPMAN, EMMA Daughter - 12 CHAPMAN, ELIZ A Daughter - 10 CHAPMAN, ELLEN Daughter - 8 CHAPMAN, PHILLIPPA Daughter - 5 CHAPMAN, ZELIA Daughter - 3 CHAPMAN, EDITH Daughter - 2 More info on above names: Approximate Birth CHAPMAN, WALTER FARMER 1824 S.ENODER, Cornwall CHAPMAN, MARIA - 1828 S.ENODER, Cornwall CHAPMAN, ROBERT BLACKSMITH 1852 LUDGVAN, Cornwall CHAPMAN, JAMES H FARM LAB 1854 GWENNAP, Cornwall CHAPMAN, EMMA SCH 1859 GWENNAP, Cornwall CHAPMAN, ELIZ A SCH 1861 GWENNAP, Cornwall CHAPMAN, ELLEN SCH 1863 GWENNAP, Cornwall CHAPMAN, PHILLIPPA SCH 1866 GWENNAP, Cornwall CHAPMAN, ZELIA SCH 1868 GWENNAP, Cornwall CHAPMAN, EDITH - 1869 FALMOUTH, Cornwall John

Irene

Irene Report 22 Oct 2003 04:47

Hi John and Crista. Thank you very much for the census information. It is looking more like Gwennap may be his birth place. John would you please be able to give me the dwelling and where the 1871 census was held. Thank you sooo very much for your help. It is very much appreciated. Irene