Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 Wiltshire look up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ginny

Ginny Report 21 Oct 2003 02:51

Could somebody please do a look up in 1851 in a place called Basbridge on a Sarah Ann Gale born in 1849. Thankyou Ginny

Gail

Gail Report 21 Oct 2003 07:42

Hi to you both, I will be doing some research at Trowbridge records office next week as it is half term. I live not far from Potterne. Email me info and I will see what I can do. Gail

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Oct 2003 10:33

I am searching for William Lewis who was a cabinet maker and his son William a hairdresser. Son William was born c1836 in Highworth Wiltshire. I have so little on these until the son married in Gloucester and moved up to Manchester. I am sorry I have no specific address, but if you could keep the name at the back of your mind I would be grateful

Eileen

Eileen Report 21 Oct 2003 15:40

Hello James can i be cheeky too! I have a family living in the Ramsbury area of Wilts, is that anywhere near you? if so could you look up a George Watts born about 1852-4 father Thomas Watts mother Eliza Woolford. George also married a local girl Maria Hays (Hayse) father Benjamin mother Sarah Annetts another local family. Thank you in advance Eileen in Portsmouth

Gail

Gail Report 21 Oct 2003 22:01

Hi all. Please can you email me the info. I will do what I can but no promises. Gail

Marion

Marion Report 21 Oct 2003 23:15

Hi Ginny, Couldn't find Basbridge on Wiltshire 1851 or Sarah Ann GALE aged 2/3. Do you have a near location? Found Bason Bridge near Burnham on Sea but I don't seem to have any transcription for it. Marion

Marion

Marion Report 21 Oct 2003 23:17

Elizabeth, Plenty of Newman's in Potterne but no George. Are you sure that's where he was born or living in 1851? Marion

Marion

Marion Report 21 Oct 2003 23:21

Hi Barbara, Found only 1 William Lewis in Highworth.~ HIGHWORTH 44 Sevenhampton, Wilts. BARRETT Charles 35 Blacksmith Sevenhampton, Wilts. Mary 30 Thornhill William 15 Apprentice Sevenhampton, Wilts. Sarah Ann 12 Highworth, Wilts. Alice 10 Highworth, Wilts. Elizabeth 15 Sevenhampton, Wilts. Emma 4 Sevenhampton, Wilts. Alfred 3 Sevenhampton, Wilts. Amelia 1 Sevenhampton, Wilts. Mary 5m Sevenhampton, Wilts. SKINNER William Apprentice 19 Blacksmith Swindon, Wilts LEWIS William Apprentice 17 Blacksmith Great Coxwell Marion

Marion

Marion Report 21 Oct 2003 23:25

Eilleen, Found a possible family for future George Watts in 1851. Hope it helps for an 1861 look-up~ RAMSBURY 1851 Axford WATTS Thomas Pounds 34 Labourer Hungerford, Berks. Elizabeth 37 Ramsbury, Wilts. Henry HENRY 13 Shalbourn Wilts. Edwin 12 Ramsbury, Wilts. Alfred 10 Scholar Ramsbury, Wilts. Martha 6 Scholar Axford Elizabeth 3 Axford Thomas 1 Axford RAMSBURY Wittonditch HAYSE Benjamin 36 Ag. Lab. Ramsbury, Wilts. Sarah 39 Ramsbury, Wilts. William 12 Ploughboy Ramsbury, Wilts. Eleanor 10 At Home Ramsbury, Wilts. Charles 8 At Home Ramsbury, Wilts. Ann 3 Ramsbury, Wilts. Tom 1 Ramsbury, Wilts. Marion

Barbara

Barbara Report 21 Oct 2003 23:37

Thanks Marion, I was sent that one once before, I think its unlikely to be mine. He was a hairdresser most of his life and also a perfumer, I just cant seem him being a trainee blacksmith before he turns to his more genteel trade. I'll find him one day!!

Marion

Marion Report 22 Oct 2003 00:00

Barbara, I searched the 4 county for another possible and he is the only one. Couldn't find the cabinet maker either. Another stray somewhere? My gggrandfather was a hairdresser/perfumer in Plymouth, perhaps he was with him??? Marion

Marion

Marion Report 22 Oct 2003 18:26

If anyone else needs a look-up for Wiltshire plase feel free to ask and time permitting I will try to help. Marion

Eileen

Eileen Report 22 Oct 2003 22:08

Thank you Marion for all your help, these are indeed my families. Sorry it has taken a day or so to respond by i havn't been able to access the net for some strange reason, it has just come back on this evening. Thank you again Eileen

Barbara

Barbara Report 22 Oct 2003 23:11

Marion thanks for looking. Wouldn't it be funny if they were together lol Maybe he was in Gloucestershire seeing as thats where he met his wife - I will find him one day!!