Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

any idea which one?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 20 Oct 2003 23:52

I am trying to trace my husbands tree and have got his grandparents marriage certifcate. Dec 3 1939 William Latta aged 29, Florence Jeffries aged 31. They married in Sutton surrey. I found a birth on 1837 for William latta 1910 but this birth is in W.Derby, which i felt was wrong. I couldn't find any other birth in 1910 or a year either side of it. Then despite knowing I'm researching hubby comes up with the gem that his grandad died in Grimsby, after 1985. So isearched 1837 again and found only one death for William Latta in 1990, which gave his year of birth as 1914. So I searched 1837 AGAIN and found the following ; William j Latta born in Halifax 1914 and William J latta in W.Ham 1913. I think it's one of the later two as he prob lied about his age so he didn't seem to much younger than his wife. But which one is right???????? Shelli

Mary

Mary Report 20 Oct 2003 23:59

Hi there, As you have his birth certificate, then you will know his fathers name, so I would send off for each birth certificate to the respective Register Office where he was registered, stating his fathers name and mother unknown and if his father does not match then they will return your cheque and all it will have cost you is the postage. Mary

Crista

Crista Report 21 Oct 2003 00:10

Shelli, Though he may have lied about his year of birth, I bet he didn't change the day and month. Check the birth quarters against the month listed on his death cert. Crista

Carol

Carol Report 21 Oct 2003 00:11

You get a full refund from the register office, but it is a good idea to put a stamped addressed envelope in with the covering letter. Worth the extra, to get the full refund back for a wrong un.