Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can Elizabeth also be Eliza????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 20 Oct 2003 22:26

Is Eliza a full forename or is it short for Elizabeth. Just I am now trying to trace a Elizabeth Ada Littlejohns, and have an address in 1924 in london. The uncanny thing is that at this address in the 1901 census there are two Eliza Littlewoods, so am looking at the possibility that there could be a transcription error somewhere.

Deborah

Deborah Report 20 Oct 2003 22:27

Hi Siobhan, Short answer: both! Eliza is a full name, but is also used as a shortening of Elizabeth Debbie

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 20 Oct 2003 22:29

thats what I thought. Am i ever gonna knock down this brick wall, that I seem to keep coming against.

Mary

Mary Report 20 Oct 2003 23:41

Hi there, I think that a Littlejohn and a Littlewood at the same address is too much of a coincidence to ignore. It has been known for the enumerator to ask the next door neighbour to tell him who lived at their next door, as they were out when he called. Try looking at the original, not the transcript Mary

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 21 Oct 2003 00:25

Sorry to butt in on this thread- could someone tell me if Dolly could be used for Elsie? Have a great aunt elsie that was know as Dolly. Thanks Liz

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 21 Oct 2003 00:32

Liz I also had an Auntie who was known as Dolly. Her real name was Honor, but she was kind of little and like a little doll and therefore known as Dolly...

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 21 Oct 2003 00:34

Thanks Linda - could make sense there.

Shirley

Shirley Report 21 Oct 2003 08:50

I have an Aunt Doll who was Dorothea and my mother in law is Doll and her name is Doris. Shirl

Andy

Andy Report 21 Oct 2003 12:10

I agree with the comments made concerning Eliza/Elizabeth, you really have to keep an open mind on that one. Couple of other ones to be careful of; Nellie can be a nickname or alternative name for Ellen, and similarly Polly for Mary. There are undoubtedly other examples but those are just a couple.

Janet

Janet Report 21 Oct 2003 14:00

Siobhan What brick wall??? You've been doing really well so far! Have your certificates arrived yet? Fingers crossed. Janet

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Oct 2003 14:38

The brick wall that is preventing me from tracing my Grandfathers parents parents, I just can't seem to get past their names. Where would I few the original 1901 census form then, to check Littlewood against Littlejohns

BrianW

BrianW Report 21 Oct 2003 14:55

Mum was Lilian Irene but always known as Irene. Her sister was Gladys to family but Pat to friends.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Oct 2003 15:06

this just makes it all the more complicated. Why did people not stick to there orignal names....I don't know. How will I ever be able to trace them, if I can't confirm for sure what she was actually called.

Andy

Andy Report 21 Oct 2003 15:44

Siobhan, If it's any consolation, I've no idea what my gt-grandfather's family were playing at on the 1901 census. Some of the children's names had been changed for no apparent reason. For example, eldest daughter, Margaret was written down as Mary. Eldest son, Thomas was written down as Lewis. Another daughter, Eva was written down as Alice. Whilst the youngest son was written down using just his initials. My aunt only knew Eva, and cannot recall her ever being called Alice. So, what was going on there, I don't know.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Oct 2003 21:49

It is driving me bonkers now I have to admit. I am beginning to wonder if I am ever going to trace my grandfathers ancestors. If I could only find a marriage then all would be solved...no such luck though, and if they have changed names then it is going to be even more difficult. I hoping the death cert of my grandfathers twin may give me some vital info, he would of been about 10 months when he died. What info will be given on the death certificate?????

Janet

Janet Report 21 Oct 2003 22:23

Hi Siobhan Sorry if you took my message badly this morning.. I was only trying to cheer you up. Probably the most useful info you'll get from the death certificate is the adress where the death occured and the name and address of the informant. Good luck Janet

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 21 Oct 2003 22:26

Janet no offense was tlken. No matter how many brick walls i hit, I am far from giving up, it all the success that everyone else has that actually keeps me motivated. :o)