Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Serial Marriage Witnesses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 20 Oct 2003 21:13

I don't know if anyones gonna be able to help with this but here goes. I've been looking for a marriage in the early 1800s for John Gledhill and Ruth ? and so I went to familyhistoryonline.org and searched and came across 8 marriages that had a John Gledhill in them between 1816 and 1824 at Elland, St Marys church...nothing strange in that. Until I noticed that someone called William Ramsden witnessed 7 of them!!! And someone else called Thomas Brook witnessed 6 of them!! Is there any reason why someone would witness so many marriages? I have no idea who these men were.. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd really appreciate it. Rachel

Helen

Helen Report 20 Oct 2003 21:15

Maybe they were the church cleaner and the organ player?

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 Oct 2003 21:22

They are usually the Churchwarden or Verger. It happens a lot Margaret

Chris

Chris Report 20 Oct 2003 21:23

Maybe they like wedding cake Sorrrrry ,Couldn't resist Chris

Mary

Mary Report 20 Oct 2003 21:23

Hi there, These are professional witnesses, probably the Church Wardens. I have seen several churches pre 1837 that have been the same people witnessing weddings. Its probable because not many people in the early 1800's could write their own name. The bridge and groom put a cross if they could not write but they had to have a proper signature to be a witness. Mary

Rachel

Rachel Report 20 Oct 2003 21:31

Thanks for that, I thought that maybe I was going mad when I saw it! Makes perfect sense, I had no idea that witnesses had to be able to sign their own name. Chris - I was thinking along the same lines with the cake :) Rachel

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 20 Oct 2003 21:41

Hi all I have lots of marriage certs and have looked to see if all witnesses signed their names but on four of them only one signed and the other marked a X and someone else wrote their mark. Just curios Jill

Maureen

Maureen Report 20 Oct 2003 22:14

Thanks for that I have seen a few but the witness had the same Family name as my husband Maureen

Janet

Janet Report 20 Oct 2003 23:00

How much does that site cost to use? And can you see all the information from the certificates on it? Jan.

BrianW

BrianW Report 20 Oct 2003 23:07

I was looking through the records for Lympne church in Kent and found that my ggg grandfather witnessed a lot of the weddings in the early 1800s.

Emma

Emma Report 20 Oct 2003 23:23

Jan, I have some spare credits for the familyhistory site if there's something specific you want looking up - it's mainly the national burial register but there are other bits and pieces. Emma.