Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 20 Oct 2003 17:51

I have found my gg grandfather Frederick Seabrook appears to have been married twice in Leighton Buzzard,Bedfordshire.

Stephen

Stephen Report 20 Oct 2003 17:55

He married my gg grandmother in 1880 but there are 2 children born well before this, Florence age 9 on 1881 census and Beatrice age 4. There are 2 marriages for Frederick Seabrook in quarter 2 1871 in Leighton Buzzard. I am presuming one of these must be him and a first marriage. Does anyone have access to Bedfordshire records and could confirm what if anything is correct. Before I start the expense of certificates. His father was Samuel Seabrook if anyone has access to parish records. Many thanks Stephen

Anthony

Anthony Report 20 Oct 2003 19:01

Stephen, I have checked Free BMD & you are right - there are two references, both June qtr 1871 in L.Buzzard. As these references are distinctly different it is unlikely to be the transcriber couldn't make out a character & so entered the reference twice, giving either possibility, as sometimes occurs. And of course your ancestor wouldn't have married twice in the same quarter (or at least, I hope not!). The most likely explanation is that these are two different people, quite possibly cousins - families were large in those days & in any given parish there might be several uncles & cousins, many with the same name as names frequently ran in families & Frederick is not an uncommon one. I don't know if FreeBMD is where you got your info, but f so this is not a complete database & if you refer to fiche records or 1837 Online you might even find there's more than two! Yes, parish records may help, or possibly 1881 & subsequent census, which might show known children with their respective parents. Tony

Anne

Anne Report 20 Oct 2003 20:43

I have recently read that sometimes a couple were married twice on the same day - in two different churches to satify both sides of a family. Apparently in that case they have two certificates! Anne

Helen

Helen Report 20 Oct 2003 20:49

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to order the birth certificate for Florence or Beatrice. This would have their mothers maiden name and you might be able to find her on BMD and match up the page numbers and ensure you ordered the right marriage certificate. It wouldn't save on the cost but least that way you wouldn't end up with a marriage certificate that wasn't for your family.

Helen

Helen Report 20 Oct 2003 21:13

Checked on BMD and the two Fredericks married two of these four ladies, Elizabeth Collyer, Leah Cook, Harriet Jane Eames or Emma Stone. Tried to look for a corresponding death entry for a female Seabrook with one of these first names but not yet transcribed. You may have more luck on the 1837 site. At least you know it was between 1877 and 1880.

April

April Report 20 Oct 2003 21:27

Hi Stephen Leah Cook married Frederick Seabrook his father was Jabez according to the IGI index,Leah is on the 1881 as a widow,so I think you can discount her. Which narrows it down to Harriet Eames or Emma Stone.

Stephen

Stephen Report 21 Oct 2003 09:41

Thank you very much to all of you who have come up with ideas for me. Regards Stephen