Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

me again - just a query though

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Oct 2003 17:01

with the 1901 is there an easy way that i can locate all of the family, the surname i am using is quite common and returning to many possiblities, do you have any surgestions. ps i have the decoder if that helps

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 20 Oct 2003 17:07

Its ages since I used the decoder, but I think when I had a similar problem it allowed me to sort the lists by personal id number (which I believe were unique to that person) but which were also in sequence for the members of the household - may be I have got that wrong, but I think that's how I did it. Jacqui ps If I remember correctly I had to do a male search first and then female search, and then try to marry up the ids to make a family

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Oct 2003 17:10

yes i have been doing it like that but the name is that common though, i am sure that some commented a couple of weeks ago that the id numbers alter every time you go into the file, so they may not line up correctly.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 20 Oct 2003 17:13

Sorry then, I didn't realise the id numbers changed each time, I have been quite successful in making up "Happy Families" this way - not many of them mine of course. Don't know any other way to do it. Jacqui

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Oct 2003 17:17

dont take that as definate jackie, i am sure that i read something that surgested that maybe someone will be able to varify that for us.

Annie

Annie Report 20 Oct 2003 17:23

Hiya The Page ID is encrypted, different for every user and changes every time you log in, however, during a login session it doesn't change. So if you can do your sorting in one go you can save it to EXCEL or one of the other options. I've done the same as the others on here, selected Male or female first. With a very common name you have to do it in age bands as well. Good luck Ann

Patricia

Patricia Report 20 Oct 2003 17:29

Thanks Ann that is very interesting advice that probably alot of people are not aware of. one would natuarally assume that the id would not change. Maybe people should double check there results in case of mishaps. Regards

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 20 Oct 2003 18:02

Hi Pat - just come back in - I think I was very lucky then, as I did all my searches in "one" session per surname - and I have been able to confirm them by paying to view. Interesting to note though that you cannot trust the decoder ids from one session to another. Glad you brought it up, but sorry there doesn't seem to be any easy way forward for you. Jacqui

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 20 Oct 2003 20:54

I don't think the Person ID numbers change, I just reloaded some which I saved last week and they are the same. According to the decoder home page the page numbers might change in different sessions.