Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 20 Oct 2003 16:55

looking for birth certificate of my greatgrandad i thought he was scottish as have found him on 1881 and 1891 census and birthplace scottish, but searched for his birth cert last night on scotlands people and nothing, found his marriage cert and death cert,also found his parents marriage cert and they married in scotland , can anyone give me advice as where to look now. hitting head of brick wall, any help much appreciated cheers jackie .

Carol

Carol Report 20 Oct 2003 17:00

Parents may have eloped and married in Scotland, then moved south before he was born. Your next step is to look at the England index

Jackie

Jackie Report 20 Oct 2003 17:14

hi carol thanks for that what site would be best to look for his birth record regards jackie .

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 20 Oct 2003 17:20

if you have an approx date then you can look on 1837online.com this is a pay site though. what was his name an approx date of birth

Janet

Janet Report 20 Oct 2003 17:20

If you give us his full name, approximate date of birth, names of parents, anything you know about him, someone may be able to help you. Where was he living in the Census records? Jan.

Andrea

Andrea Report 20 Oct 2003 17:24

It might be worth trying the FreeBMD site. Not all the records have been transcribed but the earlier years are more complete than the later ones. The site is also free so it's worth a try.

Jackie

Jackie Report 20 Oct 2003 20:23

hi folks, thanks to all for replying , i will put what info i have maybe someone could kindly find him for me. david o hara born 1847/1848. married glasgow 1869. died glasgow 1899 . parents names luke and mary o hara, hope this would be enough, thankyou jackie x