Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where do I start?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marie

Marie Report 20 Oct 2003 16:46

Can anyone help me? I am trying to find my Grandad and any family he had.He died when my Dad was a babe so he doesnt know much about him or his grandparents. His name was Benjamin Longhurst born in Hackney London 1889.He is on the 1901 census I think but not sure if it is him. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Marie.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 20 Oct 2003 16:52

Marie, your father's birth certificate will have both parents names on, which will allow you to search for your grandad's marriage, which in turn will give the father's of your grandparents, then hopefully you will be able to verify the findings on the 1901 census. Ros

Michelle

Michelle Report 20 Oct 2003 16:55

I found this on the 1891 census Longhurst, Benjamin A Relationship: Son County: London Age: 2 Civil Parish: Hackney Gender: Male ED: 45 Where Born: London, Hackney Eccl. Parish: St Augustine Piece: RG12/202 Town: Folio: 127 Page: 29 Longhurst, Ethel Relationship: Daughter County: London Age: 4 Civil Parish: Hackney Gender: Female ED: 45 Where Born: London, Hackney Eccl. Parish: St Augustine Piece: RG12/202 Town: Folio: 127 Page: 29 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Longhurst, George W Relationship: Son County: London Age: 1 Civil Parish: Hackney Gender: Male ED: 45 Where Born: London, Hackney Eccl. Parish: St Augustine Piece: RG12/202 Town: Folio: 127 Page: 29 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Longhurst, James Relationship: Head County: London Age: 28 Civil Parish: Hackney Gender: Male ED: 45 Where Born: London, Bethnal Green Eccl. Parish: St Augustine Piece: RG12/202 Town: Folio: 127 Page: 29 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Longhurst, James Relationship: Son County: London Age: 6 Civil Parish: Hackney Gender: Male ED: 45 Where Born: London, Hackney Eccl. Parish: St Augustine Piece: RG12/202 Town: Folio: 127 Page: 29 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Longhurst, Amy Relationship: Wife County: London Age: 27 Civil Parish: Hackney Gender: Female ED: 45 Where Born: London, Walworth Eccl. Parish: St Augustine Piece: RG12/202 Town: Folio: 127 Page: 29 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Longhurst, Amy F Relationship: Daughter County: London Age: 7 Civil Parish: Hackney Gender: Female ED: 45 Where Born: London, Hackney Eccl. Parish: St Augustine Piece: RG12/202 Town: Folio: 127 Page: 29 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Michelle

Andy

Andy Report 20 Oct 2003 16:58

Do, you have your dad's birth cert or Benjamin's marriage cert? It's a case of working back from there. I found what appears to be him on the 1891 census although presumably this family ties up with the one you found on the 1901 census: James LONGHURST, Head, M, 28, Line Worker, born Bethnal Green Amy LONGHURST, Wife, M, 27, born London Wulworth Amy F.LONGHURST, Daughter, 7, Scholar, born Hackney James LONGHURST, Son, 6, Scholar, born Hackney Ethel LONGHURST, Daughter, 4, born Hackney Benjamin A.LONGHURST, Son, 2, born Hackney George W.LONGHURST, Son, 1, born Hackney Address: 29 Plover Street, Hackney

Marie

Marie Report 20 Oct 2003 17:29

Thank for all replies. I thought you had found something for me. The dates tally up and where he was born even his middle name was Alfred but my Nans name was Lily this one shows Amy.Do you have to pay for 1891 look-ups? Thanks again Marie

Marie

Marie Report 20 Oct 2003 17:34

Sorry getting confused here. Amy would be my Great- Grandmother wouldnt she. Sorry. Getting excited. Thanks everyone for your help. Marie

Carol

Carol Report 20 Oct 2003 17:42

Could this be him Dec quarter 1888 Benjamin Alfred Longhust Hackney 1b 514 It is the GRO index entry for his birth.