Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

occupation advice pls...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 20 Oct 2003 16:05

Just managed to find my grt grt gran in old age and her occupation is down as nurse (Notem) Does anyone have any idea what the Notem bit is about? Thanks

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 20 Oct 2003 16:13

Ruth, never even crossed my mind that it sould be that... Thanks, ill keep it in mind.

Penny

Penny Report 20 Oct 2003 19:30

Similar query please I have a servant listed in one of my family's on the 1881 census, she was 67 and listed under occupation as Nurse (S M) There was a 1 year old and a 3 year old in the household perhaps some sort of Nanny? Thanks Penny

George

George Report 20 Oct 2003 20:03

penny, yours might be ? Monthly. George

Penny

Penny Report 20 Oct 2003 20:06

Hi Georgina I understood 'monthly' was a Nurse that only worked for the first month when a child was born. My youngest in the family was listed as 1 year. Still not sure what the 'S' was for though. Racking my brains and coming up with silly suggestions now! Penny

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 20 Oct 2003 20:13

Penny. . . . . (S M ) = State Midwife.

Penny

Penny Report 20 Oct 2003 20:16

Was there such an official title in the 1800's? Perhaps someone in the family was pregnant thanks for that. Penny

George

George Report 20 Oct 2003 20:28

possibly the mother was expecting again? george

Penny

Penny Report 20 Oct 2003 20:34

Hi George, both the mother and her married daughter were living at the same address and both of childbearing age. Maybe one was in labour child didnt survive, I'm off to check on BMD all excited now a new lead to follow. Penny