Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christmas Wish List

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vicky

Vicky Report 20 Oct 2003 15:51

What to do what to do, Husband is demanding my christmas list, should I ask for all the cencus for yorkshire (£204!) Yea I can see him doing that! want to have something to do with this obsession of mine but not sure what, Most of the family I'm searching for are born and bred and died in Yorkshire (Leeds and Sheffield) I have no deaths recorded, and basically have a long way to go. Any suggestions? I would'nt want to waste this oportunity to purchase something really useful. Whats a 'good buy' or what should I avoid? Vicky

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2003 16:00

Well Vicky, I understand your dilema; where do you start?? Yes, I suppose the Yorkshire census is out of the question. what will you do with all the info. you collect for your research. How about you ask for plastic inserts and stuff for filing certs etc. But ask for the special ones you can buy at Family History Fairs. They are specially made so that your certs. are not spoilt over time, as I believe they will be if you use the ordinary ones you buy from Smiths etc. Or what about buying some 1901 Census vouchers, or 1837online look-up credits - the more you buy, the cheaper they become for individual look-ups. If you at the start of this enthralling hobby, you will need to do so many look-ups. Maybe he would pay for you a trip to area where many of your rellies lived way-back. I'm sure many others will have suggestions, too. Hazel

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2003 16:06

Hi again Also note Clare Arthey's reply to Kim Price - I will nudge it up for you. Hazel

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 20 Oct 2003 16:08

or if you haven't already got one, you could ask for a subscription to ancestry.co.uk this is apparently a worthwhile site.

Vicky

Vicky Report 20 Oct 2003 16:08

All these are great as I dare not tell him about the fivers already spent on the 1837 and 1901 sites or the 3 month subscription to ancesty, or the certificates bought! I think the certificate holder might be a good one, I have most of them in ordinary platic wallets, but the marriage ones are too long and so are kept folded. I do fancy a cencus disc though which one would give me the most information? am I right that the older they are the less information you get? thanks again Vicky

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2003 16:12

Yes, from what I have read on these pages in the past, 1881 onwards there is more info. given. Watch out with Ancestry - make a careful note of date when your membership expires, and should you not wish to renew, make sure you send them an e-mail to cancel. They are very quick at renewing without checking with you first. Hazel

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 20 Oct 2003 16:13

if you have a look on ebay, there are loads of disks up for auction there...including the vital records second edition disc....I believe this is quite good. Another idea would be to see if there are any family history classes in your area, where you could meet people alike to share stories etc, he could pay for that if there is one.

Vicky

Vicky Report 20 Oct 2003 16:14

Hazel saw the nudge and think I will give the cencus a miss! I don't mind trawling but that sounds like a mission and a half! although I was on a site last night that sold the disc for £50 each and you could buy a £5 name index to go with it, so maybe that would make a difference. might have to check it out again, has anyone else heard of the 'name index' and are they what they say they are? Vicky

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 20 Oct 2003 16:29

It's just the 1841 census that doesn't give place of birth, only if born in county or not, or if born in Ireland, Scotland or foreign parts. Ages are only aproximate rounded down to the nearest five years, but exact for under 15s. Relationship to head is not given, but can usually be worked out. All other censuses give pretty much the same info other than some minor details. I had the 1841 census for Warwickshire for my bday, and am going to ask for the money towards the 1861 and the 1871. It would cost me more to get into Birmingham and do the searching, than to buy the census. Ros

Andy

Andy Report 20 Oct 2003 16:39

I'm sorely tempted to ask for the 1861 Yorkshire (N-Riding) census, as most of my rellies are from this part of the world anyway. Have to admit that I'm more adept at relentlessly searching through censuses online than I am at fathing around trying to fit a reel of film into place and searching that way. Wasn't blessed with the daintiest of fingers!

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 20 Oct 2003 16:52

Vicky...... How about a double Coat of Arms if you both have one ?

Andrea

Andrea Report 20 Oct 2003 17:35

Vicky - thank you!! My hubby has also been asking for my Christmas list and I have been stuck for what I want - never even thought of anything to do with this family tree lark and yet I spend my life on my PC searching for all these people. Thick or what? Thanks for the idea!! As for ideas - If you are not on broadband, that is a possibility if you spend so much time on the PC!! You could also just ask hubby if he will give you money or set an amount to spend on searches (or certificates) so you can do a fiver here and there without having to subscribe to any of the sites, but you can still search and send for certificates when you need to - without all the guilt that goes with it when you do it without him knowing!! I will keep checking this thread for the ideas though. Can't believe I never thought of it!

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 20 Oct 2003 22:10

Subscription to one of the magazines. Annual membership of a county Family History Society. Why not get some catalogues sent to you from people like S & N etc to give you some more ideas. Or drag him to a Family History Fair with his credit card/wallet at the ready!. Maz. XX

Julie

Julie Report 21 Oct 2003 12:16

if you haven't already got one, how about some family tree software- they're around the £30 mark? or as others have suggested subscriptions to mags or societies? julie T:)