Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2003 23:46

Can anyone give me any info on how to find someone in Canada? My Grandfathers eldest brother went to live in Canada with some of his younger siblings. George dodd Gordon. sharron Knight

Amanda

Amanda Report 19 Oct 2003 23:47

Was that his name Sharon? George Dodd Gordon? Do you know of when he immigrated?

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2003 23:51

No I don't know where in Canada he went too. All I know is that he was born In Brampton Cumberland in 1893 and I s'pose when he was old enough he left for Canada. My mother doesn't really know much because he left before she was born. He had 3 sisters Gertrude, Ethel and Margaret. sharron

Amanda

Amanda Report 19 Oct 2003 23:55

Hi Sharron! There are 33 George Gordons listed in the telephone directory Canada411. They're all across the country. Do youknow what province he settled in?

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2003 23:58

Sorry Amanda. I don't know much at all. It was just a wild shot that maybe something might come up. Does it not say where they were born? Or do u have any site of census? Sharron

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 19 Oct 2003 23:58

Hi Amanda! Sharon, there is another message on the message board -- re Canada. You might look at that one to pick up some Canadian sites (don't know if they are of help to you, though).

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Oct 2003 00:02

Try www(.)pier21(.)ca - Remove brackets- From 1928- 1970's this was the main gateway for immigrants- Don't know if they do a name search but it might lead you in the right direction Caroline

Amanda

Amanda Report 20 Oct 2003 00:05

Hi Sharron! Leave it with me and I'll check a few places. You might try the sites on the other message as well, Lisa has left some really good links there. Also try www(.)archives(.)ca and click on Archivianet to see if you can find anything online. I'll let you know if I come up with anything in my travels! Amanda

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 20 Oct 2003 00:05

Caroline: Would you know if there is a site for those immigrating in the 1800's? (To Canada, not America.) Thanks.

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Oct 2003 00:30

Lisa Afraid I don't know- But an email to pier 21 site might help you. Although I am British & live in Uk I have been to Pier 21 which is a great little museum & resouse centre & they might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck Caroline

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 20 Oct 2003 01:01

Caroline: Thanks so much for your help. I'm off to check it out.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Oct 2003 07:08

nudge