Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for ideas please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 19 Oct 2003 20:14

I am trying to find Daisy Ethel Lyons on the 1901 I have her marriage certificate Dec 1910 shows she was 15 (old fashioned handwriting though) On the 1837 her death is listed in the quarter Jan - Mar 1937 her age listed as 44 I believe she was illegitimate as there is no father listed on the marriage certificate and I know she was brought up by the Shrubb family. They are listed as witness's on the marriage certificate. All the obvious Daisy Lyons on the 1901 I have discounted. She married in Itchingfield (Horsham Sussex) and died in this area too. Any ideas please? Penny

Penny

Penny Report 19 Oct 2003 20:21

Thanks Amanda, no tried that too! Penny

Andy

Andy Report 19 Oct 2003 20:23

What about searching for Ethel Lyons? Sometimes the middle name was used rather than the first name. Just a thought. A.

Penny

Penny Report 19 Oct 2003 20:26

Good idea, didnt think of that several names came up will have to investigate more altough not in Horsham area, thanks Andrew, Penny

Helen

Helen Report 19 Oct 2003 20:33

There's a Daisy Ethel Lyons on BMD, born Jun 1892 Southampton. That would fit in with the age at death and is it possible the marriage cert says 18 not 15?

Andy

Andy Report 19 Oct 2003 20:37

Just as a general tip for anyone who's having problems finding ancestors on the censuses, always try the person's initials as well. I had problems a while back trying to find my gt-grandfather, Frederick Spears, until I inadvertently found him one day on the 1881 census listed as F.T.C.Spears! Sorry Penny, did have a look for any female D.Lyons but none showed up. :-( A.

Penny

Penny Report 19 Oct 2003 20:37

Could be 19 ,maybe a small dent in the brickwall, off to look for myself at BMD thanks Helen, Penny

Helen

Helen Report 19 Oct 2003 20:39

Have you found the Shrubbs on 1901? What are their names and where were they living?

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 19 Oct 2003 20:45

Thanks Andrew for the tip on using initials. I am rushing off to try that one on some of my elusive ancestors! Maggy, West Yorkshire

Penny

Penny Report 19 Oct 2003 20:53

Helen although I have the marriage witness names as James Shrubb and Amy/Ada Shrubb I am not sure if these were the guardians or children of; either way I can't narrow them down on the 1901 and have tried the 1881 but no success yet. The tip of Daisy Lyons on the BMD site as born in Southampton is promising, think I will order her death certificate to see if it list where she was born. Penny

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 19 Oct 2003 21:47

Thanks Andrew for the tip on using initials. I am rushing off to try that one on some of my elusive ancestors! Maggy, West Yorkshire

Helen

Helen Report 19 Oct 2003 22:00

Found this Shrubb family on 1901 in Horsham William 62 born Rudgwick Sussex Harriet 58 b. Alfold Surrey Albert 26 b. Slinfold Surrey Alfred 21 b. Slinfold Ada 15 b. Slinfold Rudgwick and Slinfold are villages just West of Horsham. No sign of a James. Going to check on 1881, back soon.

Helen

Helen Report 19 Oct 2003 22:03

This family are on 1881 as Shrubbs, but still no James!!!!

Penny

Penny Report 20 Oct 2003 11:08

Thanks for that Helen, I did consider them but the absence of James meant I couldnt really be sure. Still a few ideas from you folk has enabled me to chip away at that old brickwall. Thanks for everyone lending their brains for a spot of lateral thinking.Penny