Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Now I've really lost the plot!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 19 Oct 2003 18:55

Please tell me that other people are as bad as me!! While searching for an ancestor, I came accross a 7 year old boy in the workhouse. Now, my youngest son is 7, and I sat there just imagining how my baby would cope in such a setting - brought a tear to my eye. Then, I dashed on to free bmd and entered his name, hoping against hope that I wouldn't find a death for him, but equally hoping to find a marriage for him, and that it all ended happily ever after. I didn't find either and now can't get the poor boy out of my mind. Is it just me, or has anyone else ever done the same?? Thanks, Carol.

Penny

Penny Report 19 Oct 2003 19:00

Hi Carol I must admit I had a tear in my eye after I discovered my great uncles name on the debt of honour redister for ww1 he was just 19. I imagined my own 9 year old son in just 10 years from now. I usually buy a poppy but will definitely do so this year and wear it with pride. Penny

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 19 Oct 2003 19:03

Hi Penny, must be our maternal instinct playing with us! Best wishes, Carol.

Lisa

Lisa Report 19 Oct 2003 19:07

You're not alone! I was searching for the death of a relative (at a reasonably old age) and found myself looking at all the babies registered as died aged 0. Then found myself counting them... My grandad is on 1891 census as a nurse child (age 1) and I keep imagining his mum getting married and reclaiming him.

Sue

Sue Report 19 Oct 2003 19:18

Hi Carol and Penny I know just what you mean. My husband was watching a programme on WW1 on the History Channel today. I thought about his Great Uncle, killed at Ypres when he was just 19. That's the same age as our youngest boy. He hasn't even got a grave, but is just listed on the memorial at Ypres. My husband's Grandfather was killed in 1918, just before the end of the War. I wept for his GGrandmother who lost two sons, and other male relatives, and for his Grandmother,left with two sons aged 1 and 2 years, but there were many more who lost more than that. My husband tells me not to look on all the sites about WW1 because it upsets me too much, but I feel I have to learn as much as I can. After all most of our families lost at least one relative and we have a duty to them not to let them be forgotten. Sermon over LOL Sue

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 19:23

It is all those 0s that get to me as well, while trawling through death entries. Great grandfather was married before and I found them on 1881 census with 2 young boys By the end of 1881 both had died, one of dysentry and one of bronchitis.

Michele

Michele Report 19 Oct 2003 19:32

I know how you all feel, I transcribe for freeBMD and the pages of deaths can be quite gruelling to get through at times, especially after doing 4 pages. I came across one woman and then what were obviously triplets, more than one tear was shed. My family think I'm mad but I'm just a mother. michele

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 19 Oct 2003 20:23

I cried today in the supermarket. I saw an elderly lady in a wheelchair...she looked like my mum. My mum died 6 years ago and i had just ordered a wheelchair the previous week so i could take her out,,,,and i never got to use it, Sorry guys,,,i know its not along the same track as you were discussing,,,,I just miss her,,, Claire x

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 19 Oct 2003 20:53

I have had a similar experience - looking for sister of grandmother found one right age, right name, right town listed as living in Training Institution for Pauper Children - aged 6, and listed as Pauper - cruel to list an orphan like that. As it turned out she wasn't mine, but felt like adopting her anyway!! Might still do, actually. Hormones, that's what it is, hormones. By the way Claire, don't feel too badly about missing your mum, we all do - they were usually our best friends. Jacqui

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 20 Oct 2003 08:15

Thanks everyone for the e-mails that you have sent me.. My mum was a diamond girl,,,,just like yours,,,

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 20 Oct 2003 10:33

If you go to the FRC and look for a death, then turn to the back of the index for any quarter - even up to now - you will find a list of 'unknown' deaths. All ages, both sexes, some that don't even specify either. This I found very sad to see. They must have belonged to someone at some point. How sad that no-one even knew their names. Maz. XX