Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Poor Rate Books - help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Oct 2003 17:56

I have found some records which are useful in that they give addresses but I would like to know a bit more about what they actually mean. There are four colums with headings 1 ESTIMATED ?EXTRACT 2 GROSS ESTIMATED RENTAL 3 RATEABLE VALUE (think i know that!) 4.RATE AT 2/5 IN THE POUND Each column has a monetary figure underneath Does anyone know whtat these all mean? Thanks in anticipation Sylvie

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Oct 2003 21:10

nudging In hopes that someone on line now may have some ideas? Sylvie

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 19 Oct 2003 21:38

This is interesting Sylvie - what dates do you have from the books? Do you think it could have anything to do with the contributions that were expected from landowners/householders towards the parish rates to help out with the expenses of the workhouse? Jacqui

Mary

Mary Report 20 Oct 2003 00:00

Hi Sylvie, These rate books do not tell you much but they are of interest. They were written out every year and just told you who was renting the house from the landlord and how much rent they were paying. In the 19th century, people used to move very often, even across the road if the rent was a penny a week cheaper, so the usefulness is that you can search them every year and find exactly where your ancesters went because they didn't move far. So if you know the area where they lived and you cannot find them on a census, then have a look at the rate books, that it if you can find them for the area you want. Mary

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 20 Oct 2003 09:21

Thank you both - I thought they may be something to do with rent paid but was interested to know why they were called Poor Rate Books and what all the columns meant! It seems it may be worth me going back to the records to see if I can find the family in other years. You were quite right MAry - I couldn't find them on the census - the house had been knocked down after 1859- but the family turned up in these books just after the census! Useful information because although not at either address in the census - I know to keep looking, they were probably close by Thankyou Sylvie