Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Funeral speech help needed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cosmosmallpiece

Cosmosmallpiece Report 19 Oct 2003 17:32

Hi hope someone can help me i have been asked to say a few words at my uncles funeral on tuesday but what do i say? Has anyone got a small appropriate poem they could let me use thank you Lita

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Oct 2003 17:40

Hi Lita, Sorry to hear about your Uncle :o( I went to Google and asked for funeral speaches and there were quite a lot of options there. You might just find something appropriate. Good luck for Tuesday. Regards Margaret

Sidami

Sidami Report 19 Oct 2003 17:50

Hi Lita, I am sorry about your uncle, this was read out at one of the funeral's I went to, I thought it was quite moving. You can shed tears that he has gone Or you can smile because he has lived You can close your eyes and pray that he will come back Or you can open your eyes and see all he has left Your heart can be empty because you can't see him Or you can be full of the love you shared You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday, You can remember him and only that he's gone Or you can cherish your memory and let live on Cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back Or you could do what(name) would want: Smile, open your eyes, love and go on................. hope this helps Sue..........

Penny

Penny Report 19 Oct 2003 18:01

This is a lovely poem it was read at my nans funeral its called footprints in the sand as it may be a little too long this is the website you can find it at http://freespace(.)virgin(.)net/derek(.)berger/footprints(.)html remember to remove all bracketts. If not just search google with 'footprints' Hope it all goes ok. Penny

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 19 Oct 2003 18:17

Hello Lita - I am sorry to hear about your uncle; but, why do you need to read a poem? Why not just stand there and tell everyone just how much you thought of the chap, his virtues (and vices - unless of course they are really bad!) It all makes up the character of the person, and really at the end of the day if it comes from your heart that's more important than a poem - trust me, the congregation will appreciate it more. Jacqui

Cosmosmallpiece

Cosmosmallpiece Report 19 Oct 2003 18:25

Hi everyone i would like to thank you all for all your messages i am going to sit down and try to write something my self i think thanks again Lita

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Oct 2003 18:43

Lita, sorry to hear of your loss. My father in law recently passed away and I went through his many notes and asked family members for things he used to say and things that happened in his life. I would have been too emotional to read it out, so we gave it to the vicar who made a fairly good job of saying it in his own words. It really helped me to write it down. Barbara

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 23:58

Sorry to hear about your loss Lita. I have always thought that funerals should be conducted by a member of the family, and not some stranger. I fully intend to conduct my husbands funeral when the time comes.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 20 Oct 2003 01:06

Sorry to hear of your loss. There is a poem called: "Do not stand at my grave and weep" Liz

Amanda

Amanda Report 20 Oct 2003 02:53

Dear Lita, I lost my Father in January of this year, all of my family are in UK, but I am in Canada. I took my son (3) to visit his grand-dad the previous October for five weeks, and we had some special days together, I was so glad I decided to take that trip, otherwise I would not of had any photo's of my father and son together. Anyway, I went back to UK for my fathers funeral, and nobody from my family wanted to stand in church and say some words, this meant so much to me. I took a poem with me which I found in a newspaper, then I met the Reverend a few days before the service, and he gave me a piece to read from the bible which I practiced over and over to get it right. I stood in church, the day of the service and after the Reverend read all about my dads life, I then did my little speech in front of my family and dads friends. I felt after that I had honoured my dad and thanked him for my life. I miss him now, but am so glad that I had the chance to say thankyou in my own way.

Dauna

Dauna Report 20 Oct 2003 07:35

Hi Lita My sympathies. I know whatyou are going through as my brother has just died suddenly and I will also be reading the 'all is well' poem at his funeral on Friday 24th. It is a beautiful sentiment. I wish you strength and support in this difficult time Dauna

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2003 08:11

Some very touching stories, thanks you for sharing them. Dauna - I am so sorry to hear about the lost of your brother. My thoughts are with you. I think those of you who have done or will be doing the speeches are very stong. I am always the one at any funeral who sheds more tears than anyone else :o( Regards Margaret