Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just ordered my first certificates!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 19 Oct 2003 16:44

How exciting, I have just ordered my first two certificates, it is almost like christmas. Am quite new to this family history lark, but needs this certifcates for vital information that they may hold, hope they are going to be what I expected.

Janet

Janet Report 19 Oct 2003 16:48

Its always exciting when certificates arrive - sometimes they confirm something you hoped you knew, other times they give you a completely new name that you hadn't been able to discover before. Do hope yours live up to your expectations. Jan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Oct 2003 16:49

Wishing you many many more Siobhan :o) Regards Margaret

Andy

Andy Report 19 Oct 2003 16:50

Siobhan, Trust me, you still get that Christmas feeling, whenever a certificate comes through the post despite the fact that since you started you've ordered at least 30 of them! Andy

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 19 Oct 2003 16:57

I have ordered a birth and death certificate of what I hope is my grandfathers twin. Hopefully it will confirm it was his twin and might give me some more vital information. Will be watching the post this week ;o)

Janet

Janet Report 20 Oct 2003 06:48

Congratulations Siobhan. May you find many more certs to order. By the way, if you are ordering from GRO it's a good idea to include 'checking points' . Then if it's not the correct person you don't get the cert. but you do get a partial refund. Janet

Samantha

Samantha Report 20 Oct 2003 19:02

Siobhan, I too ordered my first certificates last week and have been waiting like an excited school kid by the door each morning for the last week. Thank god my usual postman is back on duty this week as he always arrives before I go to work. I don't think I could wait until I get home from work to check the post. Fingers crossed that they arrive tomorrow! Sam

Penny

Penny Report 20 Oct 2003 19:26

Me too Siobhan I ordered two last week after confrming GRO ref with 1837 online. I was thrilled to see they were the right ones and today have ordered two more! That it for now though hope hubby dosnt notice the payments on bank statement!!! Shall have to pretend its christmas presents.Penny

Bernard

Bernard Report 20 Oct 2003 19:42

Hi siobhan. I ordered my first certificate last week but got to wait six weeks can't wait to find out who my gg grandparents are.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Oct 2003 19:55

Hi Siobhan Tis exciting is'nt it - l ordered my first last week, ist due anyday,but been told it may take longer - you'll all know when it arrives, l'll put message/s somewhere!!! Good luck Jude

Carol

Carol Report 20 Oct 2003 20:15

If you order certificates from the register office where they were registered, or where the registers are now, if the original office has closed, you get a full refund if they cant find the right one. I put my phone number on the covering letter, and they usually phone me, if there is a query. If he is a twin, there is a possibility that there will be a time as well as a date of birth, but not always on earlier birth certificates. Am I making any sense at all

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 20 Oct 2003 20:38

I am hoping his twins birth and death certificate may give me some vital info, as I cannot locate a marriage for his mother Irene Clarke (formerly Littlejohns). Max kindly did an Electoral register look up for me, at the address given on the certificate for the year of the birth and it brought up a Elizabeth Ada Littlejohns, now either this is Irenes Mother or it is Irene with a name change, she was a dancer in the theatre so who knows. Baffled as to what I am gonna do now, to try and trace my grandfathers ancestors, I keep hitting a brick wall again and again. I need it to jump to the future so I can see the census returns for 1921