Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have updated my Outlook express - now I can not

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 19 Oct 2003 15:16

I have updated as per instructions, I'm on windows 98 (my brother is on 2000 same thing happened) anyone know how I can get it to let me open them. If you can help - I need a idiots guide to do anything on the computer. Thanks Chris

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Oct 2003 15:31

I would be interested in any replies. I don't have a problem but my husband is having problems using links on his e mails for the same reason Ann Glos

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 15:33

Not sure about opening, but can you save attachments. If so, save them to a folder so you know where they are, then try opening the files from the folder. I assume you updated after getting that screen on your homepage. I got that this morning, and hubby told me to ignore it.

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 19 Oct 2003 15:46

Christine In your Outlook Express browser click on Tools, Options, Security. If there is a tick in the box alongside "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" remove the tick from the box. But you'll need to be sure first that the attachment you are about to open is from a trusted source. I use Norton Anti-Virus software and leave the box unchecked at all times. But to play safe, you might just want to uncheck the box to open specific attachements. You can always check the box again after you have opened and saved individual attachments. If that doesn't work, I am afraid that you will have to hope that somebody else comes up with another bright idea. David

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 15:50

Hubby is the computer expert in our house, and he never uses this update. His motto - if it isn`t broke, don`t mend it.

Loz From Leices

Loz From Leices Report 19 Oct 2003 15:53

not sure if this is will work but you could try it. think I read it in a mag. go to TOOLS - OPTIONS - SECURITY tab - and if there is a check mark in the " do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" uncheck it. this just means you're relying on your anti virus to do it's job rather than outlook express deciding what you can see. I see someone beat me to it. Lorraine

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 19 Oct 2003 17:14

Thanks everyone, it worked. I can now open my attachments. I will have to reply on Norton. Thanks again Chris

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 19 Oct 2003 20:10

Have had same problems and even after uchecking box - still have some trouble - cannot even save attachements to open elewhere. Liz

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 19 Oct 2003 20:28

Hello I also ignored the update on Outlook express I have windows 98 and cannot open my attachments either. I have been into Tools Options and Security but. I only have two boxes one for security zone and one for secure mail. Can anyone help me out here please I have attachments that have been waiting ages to be opened. Thank you Shirley

Loz From Leices

Loz From Leices Report 23 Oct 2003 00:17

think the advice for unchecking the "virus" box is for version 6 of outlook express, not sure what the other versions are like. it might be worth looking at the microsoft knowledge base for answers to problems. Sometimes it can help.