Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 18 Oct 2003 18:34

Is the information exactly the same on certificate whether you order it for the GRO or a Local Registry Office.

George

George Report 18 Oct 2003 18:34

yes George

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Oct 2003 18:36

I think the only difference is that the local office rewrites the information onto a new certificate for you, and that the GRO copies the original. But I might be wrong.. Rachel

Lynne

Lynne Report 18 Oct 2003 18:47

No, you,re right my mum and i ordered the same one by accident and mine was from GRO and a copy of the original and my mums from our local registry officewas re written from the original.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 18 Oct 2003 18:56

so is it better to order for the GRO or local registry office. I know they are cheaper if you order from a LRO

BrianW

BrianW Report 18 Oct 2003 19:02

Go for the original from GRO, it won't have transcription errors (but will be harder to read). I spent weeks looking for my great grandmother Jane Goddard, on the strength of a 1926 transcription, only to find out subsequently that she was Jane Gorrod.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 19 Oct 2003 18:23

I'm really going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons now. It depends on which register office you order the certs from, all mine bar three came from register offices and quite a few of these have been photocopies. Of the three from the GRO one was written out and not a copy, if they think it is not going to copy very well they write it out. It may be worth phoning the register office in question to see if they will photocopy it for you. Ros

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 18:28

The ones I get are usually typed. I always get mine from the local register offices.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 19 Oct 2003 18:34

I was just interested as to why they were a tad more expensive if you order them from the GRO, obviously if they are copied from the original then this would be why. Trouble would be reading the information on them, if it is a certificate from at least a hundred years ago.

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Oct 2003 20:01

If you order online they are the same price from the GRO as from a local Reg Margaret