Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

American Immigrants

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Philip

Philip Report 18 Oct 2003 17:10

Looking for a site(s) for people coming to the UK. My G/G/parents came here from Boston, Mass. mid 1890's. Any help would be greatful. Either post on this or email me at [email protected] thanks Phil

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2003 18:33

I'm nudging this as I have the same dilema. Caroline

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 18 Oct 2003 21:21

Nudging again as I also have the same dilema. Lynda

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Oct 2003 00:14

Nudge- And what were they doing coming the wrong way? Caroline

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 19 Oct 2003 00:18

Caroline, This is this right way !!! Lynda

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Oct 2003 00:22

Lynda Your right, of course. You imagine some American debutante coming here to marry an Earl, don't you?- In my case my GG Grandmother (who couldn't write) marrying a warehouseman. She is my fav ancester at the mo & am dying to find out more about her. Caroline

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 19 Oct 2003 00:31

This is my GGG Grandfather, who I only discovered this week I know absolutly nothing about Him, other than He married Mary from Ireland, in the 1881 census it says He is 89 if thats true I want to take after him, I wonder why He came to England He was a paviour, perhaps they needed them here. Just hope he had a happy life, like I do all my lot, even though I know they were all poor. Hope we find a good website soon. Lynda

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Oct 2003 00:44

Yes, I do too. I know mine was born in Pennsylvannia in 1841, but exactly where ,I don't know. She had a v common name to- damn it- Hannah Campbell. Her wedding cert says her father had an even more common name - John Campbell. I'm sure there must be somewhere that has such records- A British equivalent of Ellis Island. Caroline

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 19 Oct 2003 01:42

There is indeed such a site, however I cannot remember the exact URL and a search has proved unsuccesful. However other members have put it on this board, so scrolling back some pages (probably quite a few) will find it. You will need a bit of patience but if you didn't have that you wouldn't be researching your ancestors!! If I find it I will post it here. Kathleen

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 19 Oct 2003 02:23

After spending nearly an hour scrolling back through the pages - used my brain (well it is late!) Go to the Resource Centre on the left hand side of the page, it is immediately under the Message Boards. There you will find the site which may help, it is in fact called Moving here. I don't know how helpful it will be but well worth a try. Good luck to you all Kathleen

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 19 Oct 2003 04:01

Just a bit of information: I always thought that when people left Europe for America, they stayed put. I recently found out that a friend's family left the Azores, lived in California and went back to the Azores yearly. They were merchants or something and according to Ellen, it was more common than one would think -- to travel between "home" and America. Perhaps your families hopped across the pond for some reason and found they wanted to stay in England.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 19 Oct 2003 10:13

Kathleen, Thanks for your info and staying up another hour, very kind of you. I will now investigate this site.Thanks again. Lisa Thank you also, for your thoughts of what may have happened. lynda

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Oct 2003 17:22

Thanks very much- I don't think MovingHere helps at this stage. Just will have to keep looking Thanks again Caroline

Philip

Philip Report 19 Oct 2003 20:29

Thanks to you all for your comments BUT still to no avail. I hvae contacted 'ellisisland' web and asked them if they know of a/couple of sites for people comong to the UK. Will let you kow if successful. Phil