Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 Wiltshire Census Lookup Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 18 Oct 2003 14:54

Hello, Please could someone lookup JOHN ERNEST HUNTER (b.1885) and his mother Sarah (b.1845approx) in 1891 Wiltshire census? Sarah was born in Holt in Wiltshire. I want to know who else is living in the household? Is there a father and any brothers/sisters? I think the fathers name is also John Ernest Hunter but I am not 100% sure. Thanks in advance, Christopher

Emma

Emma Report 18 Oct 2003 15:10

Hi Christopher, I think I've found them in Wales. Sarah Hunter, head, wid, 49, farmer, Wiltshire Bradford on Avon Fanny Hunter, step daur, sing, 28, Monmouthshire Monmouth John E Hunter, son, 6, Monmouthshire Bassalley? + servants Cwm Farm RG12/4379, Folio 67, page 8 Rogerstone Monmouthshire Regards, Emma.

Christopher

Christopher Report 18 Oct 2003 15:16

Hello, Thank you for the lookup, but unfortunately it doesn't look like its them. I know Sarah and her son moved to Monmouthshire when her husband died but I don't think it was in 1891. I also think its unlikely they had servants- but you never know, I will look into it to make sure one way or another. Thanks again Christopher

Emma

Emma Report 18 Oct 2003 15:28

Hi Christopher, I had another look and there are no other possible Sarah Hunters born in Holt or Wiltshire. In fact on the 1891 census there are only 3 Sarah Hunters born in Wiltshire. I also checked for John Ernest Hunter and no luck there either. Emma.

Christopher

Christopher Report 18 Oct 2003 15:49

Thanks for all your help, Maybe the ones in Wales are the ones i'm looking for, will have to do some more research Thanks agan, Christopher

Teresa

Teresa Report 22 Oct 2003 00:29

Hi, I am in Wiltshire and Holt is only a mile away from Bradford-on-Avon! Holt is only a small village and Bradford-on-Avon being the nearest town might have been put down as place of birth? So it's quite possible that this is the right person! Hope this helps, regards Teresa.