Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Devon 1851 census look up please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 16 Oct 2003 19:22

Please, please could some very kind person look up the 1851 census for me. I will post a response to make it clearer. Sue

Sue

Sue Report 16 Oct 2003 19:25

Mary Jane SPEAR born Crediton 1843 probably living at Crediton or Nymet Rowland. Please could someone find out her parents names and any siblings. Thank you very much Sue

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 16 Oct 2003 19:49

Hello Sue I found this Spear family on the 1851 Devon census. Sampson Head 42 Gardener Journeyman Plymouth Devon Honor Wife 40 ...... Plymouth Devon Mary J Daur 8 ...... Plymouth Devon Address 14 Russell Street St Andrews Plymouth Its the only Mary J Spear I could find born 1843 Hope it helps Shirley

Sue

Sue Report 16 Oct 2003 20:05

Thanks Shirley I don't think it is the right Mary Jane. As far as I know the family has no connection with Plymouth. I think her father was probably William and she had a sister Emma who was born in about 1839. I suppose Emma could be working away from home though. Thanks again for looking Sue

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 16 Oct 2003 20:23

Hello Sue I have found some Spear families born in Crediton But no William Head. The only Emma was born in 1850 with a father called John and mother Sarah. There are some Spear families born in Crediton living in the Union Workhouse Western Road Crediton. If you want to give me some more info I will look for you again. or I can email you the info on these families. Regards Shirley

Sue

Sue Report 16 Oct 2003 20:32

Hi Shirley Yes please could you e-mail me details of the Spear families if you don't mind. There is a dark family secret here somewhere and it's driving me mad!!! Thanks Sue

Debbi

Debbi Report 16 Oct 2003 20:39

i dont know if this will help but i will be going through crediton in november if you want i will check the graveyard for you debbi

Sue

Sue Report 16 Oct 2003 21:04

Hi Debbi Thanks for your kind offer. I did check the church gravestone records (with the help of a lovely vicar) back in June when I was on holiday but couldn't find anything. Mary's sister(?) Emma Spear married John SELDON (husband's GGGrandfather) in Nymet Rowland in 1861 and Mary is listed on 1891 census as living with them as sister-in-law. I'm beginning to wonder if she was Emma's brother's wife and not Emma's sister. Ah well, nobody said it was an easy hobby! Sue

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 16 Oct 2003 21:44

Hello sue I have emailed you all the info. Shirley

Sue

Sue Report 16 Oct 2003 21:50

Hello Shirley Thanks for that info. You're a star! I'm off to study it now. Thanks again Sue