Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It annoyed me...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 16 Oct 2003 17:24

It annoyed me when people dont put DOB or place of birth. It made it harder to works out if it is my rellies or not.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 16 Oct 2003 18:00

i agree, it is frustrating, you can have a long list of the same name which matches your rellie, only to find the person either doesnt know the place of birth & year or cant be bothered to put it down. it can't be hard to put a simple eg. c1900 to show roughly the era of birth. Or maybe type in" London area " or "midlands" or even north/south of england. elaine

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 16 Oct 2003 18:06

When I downloaded my files from my software I hadn't checked all the rellies had all the information. That had come from years of someone saying "There was a great uncle arthur" . I'd put him into my file just to remember to keep an eye out for him - without a dob because I couldn't pin it down =+/- 10 years. That amy have happened to other people. I have tried over the last couple of months to amend these details but have had to concentrate on one side of the family - there are so many of them. I don't think people do it on purpose but I do understand how you feel - it IS frustrating Sylvie

Helen

Helen Report 16 Oct 2003 18:09

A lot of people have christening dates for people rather than birth dates. If they download a Gedcom file that has only the christening date it shows up on GC with no date at all. I believe GC is trying to find some way round this problem.