Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Superslueths! Need help finding .....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 16 Oct 2003 11:16

Robert James WATSON. This old chap is turning out to be a right pain in the neck (and other places!) He is my gfather (hhmmmmm!). I have the following details about him: Fathers name: Samuel Thomas WATSON, Skin dealer. Mothers name: who knows! Dob: about 1877 or 1878 Where: who knows! Occupation at marriage: Mechanical Engineer. Robert married Martha Elizabeth Olive FOSTER 1st May 1907 in the Register Office of Rotherham, Yorkshire. At the time his address was given as 21 Herbert Terrace, Rawmarsh. I thought I had found his birth in St Pancras 24 April 1879 but alas! This Robert James fathers' name is not Samuel! Anyone want to swap a certificate for Robert James WATSON dob 24/04/1879???? I cannot locate either of them in the 1881, 1891 or 1901 census! Perhaps I am just looking toooooooooo hard and missing something! I found a 'perhaps' for Samuel in 1901 as a Tannery worker but not a trace of anyone else! This old cogger is doing my head in! I don't mind getting stuck somewhere decent but object to being stumped at GrandFather level!! No-one to ask as all the rest of the tribe is deceased! Bit off of them I think! ;) Sonja

SueS

SueS Report 16 Oct 2003 11:38

could he possibly be Robert Watson born Fulwood, York 1875 on the 1881 census with parents Samuel and Ellen and family? Sue Surrey

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 16 Oct 2003 11:43

Could be Sue; His age is 29 on his marriage certificate in 1907. I remember from my father speaking of him that he was well educated so I am almost certain that he would have been able to abley and accurately state his d.o.b. and age. Sonja

Stan

Stan Report 18 Oct 2003 01:59

Hi, Sonja I had intended to add something here ages ago, but the site went down while I was looking up possible sources. Although Watson is a common name, there aren't many with these combinations of Christian names. There is a Robert James Watson, birth Jan-Mar 1876, Islington, 1b, 438. How likely is London as a location? Is he too old for the 1907 marriage? Was there an age on the marriage certificate? THere is a James Robert Watson in the 1891 census, in Market Street, Sutton St Mary, servant aged 16, Groom, born Lincoln, Sutton. He might be a possibility, the age need not necessarily be right. More interestingly, a search of FreeBMD 1845-1855 comes up with just one Samuel Thomas Watson, birth Jan-Mar 1853, Lincoln 7a 441. If Lincolnshire is a possibility, maybe there's something to follow up here? Best wishes Stan

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 19 Oct 2003 09:47

Stan you are truly a geno treasure! That is interesting the FreeBMD bit. I search about 2 months ago and forgot to look for Sam again! I often am there for everyone else in the family! Robert James was 29 in 1907 as stated on his marriage cert. Well educated too so I would believe that this was accurate. I just can find not a sign nor hair of them in 1881, 1901. Most frustrating! I think I will wander down the Lincolnshire path for a while! :) Many thanks again Sonja