Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The trail of the tiresome Triggs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 15 Oct 2003 17:54

I am struggling to find any info on my grt-grandfather THOMAS TRIGG. The info that some of you kind people have given me (from 1891 census etc) is apparently the only record this man was ever entered in. Could someone please advise what format the 1871 census took, and whether it give some clue, because he should be on it somewhere (he was born in 1863). He claimed on the 1871 census to be a policeman in Cardiff, but no trace of him can be found, by 1901 he wasn't with his wife and family (presumed dead, but no death record can I find) and yet on my gran's wedding cert. in 1906 he is not listed as "deceased". Did he do a runner, did he change his name? I am rapidly losing my patience with this individual - a tiresome Trigg indeed!! Jacqui

Carol

Carol Report 15 Oct 2003 18:14

What is it with great grandfathers. If it is any consolation, I am having the same problem. I have grandfathers birth certificate, he was born 1901, but can I find them on any census, can I find a marriage. The address on the certificate is listed as occupied but no one in apparently on 1901 census. Result, one great big brick wall.

Dawn

Dawn Report 3 Jul 2004 05:36

I know how you feel, I too am having problems with my great grandfather Ralph William Trigg. I found him on the 1881 census he was born in 1875, however nothing on the 1891 or 1901 census, although I know he was married & he was still around when my own father was born in 1933. Maybe its the fault of the enumerators of that time. Good luck with your search. Dawn (Trigg)

Dawn

Dawn Report 3 Jul 2004 07:08

Hi Jaqui I thought Id do a bit of research re Trigg. I found your Thomas Trigg in the 1871 census for Wales. Born 1863 Kings Stanley Gloucester. Father Charles b 1837 Mother (no details found), brother James b 1865 (maybe mother died in childbirth). Nothing to be found in the 1881 census 1891 census for Wales. Thomas was married to Margaret b 1859 they had two daughters Ida b 1889 and Elsie born 1890/91. The lived in the civil parish of Canton in Glamorgan, and he was indeed listed as a policeman. This is interesting as my gr grandfather Ralph Trigg was born in Gloucester and his parents came from Monmouthshire, all of Ralphs other siblings were born in Yorkshire. So we may well be related somewhere along the line! Regards Dawn

Emma

Emma Report 3 Jul 2004 09:28

Dawn, Have emailed you. Emma x

Geoff

Geoff Report 3 Jul 2004 09:43

Could this be Charles and James in 1881? Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Ann BICK Head W Female 61 Brimsfield, Gloucester, England Innkeeper Thos. WARD Boarder U Male 60 Gloster, Gloucester, England Labourer Charles TRIGG Boarder U Male 45 Maisemore, Gloucester, England Labourer James TRIGG Boarder U Male 15 Gloster, Gloucester, England Labourer William THOMAS Boarder U Male 20 Gloster, Gloucester, England Labourer Thomas JORDAN Boarder U Male 17 Cheltenham, Gloucester, England (House Pr) Writer (Painter Of Signs) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling Nags Head Inn Census Place Gloucester St Nicholas, Gloucester, England Family History Library Film 1341611 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 2531 / 19 Page Number 32 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Jul 2004 22:00

Dawn - thanks so much for the info. If it hadn't been for an "old" friend I would have missed this posting. We might well be related, will recontact when have done some investigation. Again, many thanks for your input. Jacqui

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 24 Sep 2007 21:19

Jen did you see the age of the original posting?

Ozi.