Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

occupations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 15 Oct 2003 17:07

hi, i've just found out that my g.granddad was a "ganger", can anyone tell me what a "ganger" is or was??????

Lynne

Lynne Report 15 Oct 2003 17:17

he was the foreman of a gang of workers.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 15 Oct 2003 18:49

many thanks Lynn.

Eileen

Eileen Report 15 Oct 2003 18:51

Hello Christine, according to my book of occupations a Ganger is a foreman, especially a foreman platelayer on the railways. hope this helps Eileen

Penny

Penny Report 15 Oct 2003 18:53

As above reply overseer or foreman from 1850 onwards, got this from a really good site listing old occupations incase anyone is interested in any other unusual names the site is www.cpcug.org/user/jlacombe/terms.html

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 15 Oct 2003 20:12

thanks everyone, Eileen, i was told he had something to do with the overhead railway in Liverpool, now it makes sense. thanks to Penny,i will try that site.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 15 Oct 2003 20:18

just been to the site---very good, have added it to my favs.