Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where to now!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 15 Oct 2003 14:20

Thomas Spain b1782 Folkestone & Maria Silver b1797 Eastry. I have their marriage Parish Newington Next Hythe 1829. By Banns. Witnesses ?? Silver and Mary Ellen Silver. From Canterbury Cathedral Archives. He was a Widower. What info can you get from The Banns? I cannot find a Thomas born 1782 (got this info from census) Cannot find parents (Was hoping to find this from marriage. Anybody out there can point me in the right direction? Would be truly grateful Chris

Dave

Dave Report 15 Oct 2003 15:50

Hi Chris, All I could find from LDS:- THOS SPAIN Male Event(s): Birth: Christening: 27 SEP 1778 Saint James The Apostle, Dover, Kent, England Death: Burial: Parents: Father: JOHN SPAIN Family Mother: ANNE Dave

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 15 Oct 2003 19:00

Thanks Dave Even if I get that Thomas's birth certificate, how do I prove he the one that I am looking for? Help!!! Thanks again Chris

Stan

Stan Report 15 Oct 2003 23:15

Hi, Chris You can't get birth certificates before 1837. You only have what is in the Register. The LDS have transcribed many registers as the IGI, and for the less common names you are likely to find the person you want in the same, or a nearby parish, as lots of people moved around only in say a ten-mile radius. If necessary you can do this by going through the Hugh Wallis IGI batch numbers, parish by parish, although you probably still need the extra information from the original register entries. The problem is that prior to 1837 parents mostly only exist on baptism registers - and only fathers on the earlier ones. Sometimes burial registers can contain useful information, though. Banns will mostly tell you very little that is not on the marriage register. Parents generally only get named on the marriage register after 1837 (and then only fathers). In the end, all you can do is infer from the evidence you can get. Best wishes, Stan

Chris from Kent

Chris from Kent Report 15 Oct 2003 23:42

Thanks Stan, The census I found him on was the 1851 in Folkestone when he said he was 69 perhaps I could ask some kind soul to do a look up in the 1861 to see if his age differs or if he does not show up, it might give me the years to look for his death. Chris

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Oct 2003 10:08

Hi Christine, Banns tell you very little. Just who the couple were, which parish they were from and ths dates the banns were read. Debbie