Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

war medals?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rus&

Rus& Report 15 Oct 2003 10:39

hi all, i have just recieved g/grandads service record from the grenadier guards(only emailed them last week to request it) on it it says that he was awarded a few medals where can i find out about the said medals? any help would be a godsend thanx kaz

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Oct 2003 10:59

http://www(.)users(.)dircon(.)co(.)uk/~searcher/ Try this out Lesley

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 15 Oct 2003 11:03

You could try a search at the Gazette Gateway? This would give you records of Military Medals and above www.gazettes-online.co.uk Thankfully you can do a name search but beware - it is quite a slow site Failing that. try the British Legion who will try to help you 0171 973 7200 or Army Medals Office 01905 772323 I'm afraid I can't remeber which one I went to to find and get my father's medals - he hadn't collected them! Hope it helps Sylvie

Terence

Terence Report 16 Oct 2003 10:00

Would anyone know the answer to this. My Mother served in the RAF during WWII. I have her discharge papers and where it mentions what medals/decorations were awarded, it has nil. I assumed that every serviceman/woman would have been entitled to at least the war medal & defence medal. Terry on the Rock

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 16 Oct 2003 10:28

Terry Try this site, they should be able to help. www(.)waafassociation(.)org(.)uk/ You can contact them and they should be able to tell you about entitlement and where to obtain any medals awarded. Kathleen (remove brackets of course)

Terence

Terence Report 16 Oct 2003 10:53

thanks Kathleen, will give them a try Terry on the Rock