Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing 1901 census records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2003 07:56

Does anyone know if there are missing census records for certain areas? I knpw my grandfather was born in Dover in 1891, but there are no records of him or his mother/father in the 1901 census. He was too young to be in the forces. Any ideas? Paul

Jackie

Jackie Report 15 Oct 2003 08:01

ho paul i am in the same situation as you . i know that mt greatgrandad and family were in glasgow in 1901 but i cannot find them anywhere, even at the ecords office in edinburgh, have tried all sort of spelling still nothing , have you tried different varients of the surname mine has changed back and forwards over the years, sorry i cant help more cheers jackie.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Oct 2003 08:05

Hi, The indexing is fairly poor sometimes. If you can get to the Record Office work through Dover on fiche and they may turn up. Gwynne

Helen

Helen Report 15 Oct 2003 08:20

Paul Their names may have been transcribed incorrectly. Try posting the names, approx ages and location on here and some clever person may be able to find them for you.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 15 Oct 2003 08:27

I could not find my Grandmother and her family on the 1901 but had an address from her marriage certificate 5 years later and put this in. I had to pay to view but the family came up on the census return sheet. They are still not showing on name search as individuals. I also looked at the household entry for my Grandfather who I could find with 2 of his sisters but not their parents. These showed up on the household list. So if you do have addresses on any certificates it is well worth trying , or look at households if only one name is found, that way like me, you may strike lucky.