Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't find grandad!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 14 Oct 2003 13:16

Anyone got any ideas? I know my grandad William Carter Boyes was born in Malton 5/3/1890. I have tried to find him on the 1901 census and he doesn't seem to be anywhere! There are some 11 year olds (and 10 year olds) but none from his part of Yorkshire. I am currently waiting for his birth certificate, so it doesn't help that I don't yet know his parents. There is a William C Boyes aged 1 on the 1891 census living with another family and he is described as a 'nurse child'. I guess I will have to wait for his birth certificate.

Penny

Penny Report 14 Oct 2003 13:20

Hi Lisa, it is possible this is your grandad as a Nurse child was an infant who was looked after and usually wetnursed by the host family somtimes for payment . These arrangements were usually informal but sometimes leaded to long term adoptions or fostering (as it was then) Sometimes if you check the dwelling or address next to the one where you found him listed you will find the parents or perhaps the widower father! Good luck Penny

Lisa

Lisa Report 14 Oct 2003 13:24

Wow, what a prompt reply! Can't see another Boyes family member in the vacinity, but will look again. Thanks for replying. There is a 2 yr old in the same family, so wetnursing seems the likely answer.

Lisa

Lisa Report 14 Oct 2003 13:45

Just found a Zachariah Boyes, widower, living alone on the same street... Must be putting two and two together and making too many, but feel rather chuffed, just like Sherlock Holmes. Still doesn't explain where they are in the 1901 census though.

Lisa

Lisa Report 14 Oct 2003 14:20

Thanks Elaine. Can't find him with that spelling either!

Penny

Penny Report 14 Oct 2003 14:23

Lisa why don't you try searching on 1837 or free BMD for the death of Mrs Boyes about the time junior was born. Still putting 2 and 2 together I know but you never know. Penny

Penny

Penny Report 14 Oct 2003 19:40

Lisa I have had another thought on this try searching on the 1901 for William under the surname of the family he was living with, I have a relative who switched surnames from 1891 census to 1901 to that of his grandparents whom he was then living with. He later reverted back to his true name as the original birth name was continued right down to my maiden name. (hope that makes sense) Let me know how you get on, Im sure all will be revealed when you get his birth certificate Penny

Lisa

Lisa Report 14 Oct 2003 22:12

Thanks for the tips. Will have to invest in some more credits to search 1901 again, so I think I will wait for the certificate then I will have more to go on. The only likely mother on Free BMD was aged 58, which although not impossible seems to be stretching the bounds of possibility!

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Oct 2003 17:01

OK! I have received his birth certificate and there is no father listed - does this mean he was illigitimate? On his wedding certificate he listed his dad as William Boyes, on his birth certificate he only has Mary Hannah Boyes. At a year old he was a nurse child, presumably because his mum was unmarried, or am I jumping to more conclusions.

Penny

Penny Report 15 Oct 2003 17:27

Hi again Lisa My family tree book says on this materr and I quote;If a birth certificate gives only the name of the mother but no father it is usually safe to infer that this was an illegitimate birth,before 1875 a mother was free to name anyone she chose as a father but after 1875 the father could only be entered as such if he accompanied the mother and child and they made a joint registration. If both parents signed assume they were not married at the timeeven if surnames are identical. Also it says if column 5 on a birth certificate shows mothers name as formerly or late absence of this would suggest this was the mothers only (maiden) name. Re the fathers name on the marriage certificate they say; absolutely do not trust the name of either party on the M cert including deceased after a name they could put what they liked no one was any the wiser apparently it was very common. Hope this helps. Penny

Lisa

Lisa Report 15 Oct 2003 19:05

Thank you! Found Mary Hannah's dad was William, so perhaps this is who he has named on his marriager cert. Thanks for the help.