Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LDS family history centres

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lucky

Lucky Report 13 Oct 2003 20:16

Has anybody used one. If so what did you think. What records could you use. I am thinking of going to my nearest one in Ipswich, rather than a day in London, just for a change. I know you can order films to view but realise there would be a wait. Are there resources for use immediately or are they just for that particular area

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Oct 2003 20:22

Hi Diane, I use the one in Coventry. They are all different, some are larger than others. The Coventry one has all the local censuses, the GRO index, the 1891 for the whole of England and Wales, Boyds index plus other stuff. Why not give them a ring before you go to see what they have? Gwynne

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 13 Oct 2003 20:41

Hi I use one in the Forest of Dean. Again it holds much of the above GRO references etc though any extra's are of course local. However, if you browse the LDS online library, you will be able to find the records that they hold. (You can also buy this for £5. Armed with the film information, you can phone up your local LDS and they will order the film for you for a very modest sum (I think my last one was for a Westminster census adn cost me £1.20). I waited 3 weeks I think but it meant a 10 mile run within Gloucesterhsire rather than a trip to London! Sylvie

Valice in

Valice in Report 13 Oct 2003 21:13

We used one in Rhyl, they were very helpful and friendly, we made a weekly visit there, which kept us happy for many weeks.

Helen

Helen Report 13 Oct 2003 21:40

I visited the Sheffield centre for the first time last Tuesday. I felt a bit nervous as I didn't really know what to expect but they couldn't have been more helpful. I told them I was a first timer and one of the ladies on duty asked if there was anything in particular I wanted to look up. I wanted to see the London 1841 Census which I knew I would have to order. She showed me where the fiche was kept to look up which film I would need for the address and how the viewer worked. She noticed I was interested in St Pancras district and went to check if they had anything in for that area and brought me records of christening and marriages for the dates I needed. A gentleman helped me fill in the form to order the film I wanted and then he used their computer to look up any information they might have online for the family I was searching for. They seemed to have much better search facilities than we can access on LDS site. I know I won't get the star treatment each time I visit but they certainly made a newcomer feel welcome. I shall have no worries for future visits.

Lucky

Lucky Report 13 Oct 2003 22:54

Thanks. I think it will be well worth a visit. Only about 20 miles away so a lot less hassle than going to London.

Annie

Annie Report 14 Oct 2003 00:07

Best to ring them anyway as in the one near me (where they are REALLY helpful) you need to book a viewer! Hope you have fun Ann