Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ANYONE ELSE HAVING TROUBLE WITH BMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 13 Oct 2003 19:29

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to BMD or is it just me? Interested to here your replies.Chris Looks like we`ll just have to keep on trying, you must have been lucky Ray,thanks for your replies. Chris

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2003 19:31

Yes Chris, I have been trying to get access for 4 days now!!!! Wonder what is going on. Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2003 19:35

Hi Chris, Must be you, I've just tried, no prob. Ray

Kay

Kay Report 13 Oct 2003 19:36

Managed to find one marriage but it took about 10 minutes then crashed on me!!!!!

Andy

Andy Report 13 Oct 2003 19:43

I couldnt get their webpage to load up at all yesterday, then later on it loaded, but wouldnt search, then it did but very very slow, just presumed it was busy. If at all possible try doing your searches in the early hours, not ideal but sometimes quicker.

Hilary

Hilary Report 13 Oct 2003 20:59

They do say on the homepage that there is a virus about and hence there are problems with the site that are out of their control. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, so keep trying.

Valice in

Valice in Report 13 Oct 2003 21:06

had no luck accessing the site at all yesterday, today have managed sometimes, and others can't get on, hit & miss. They have got a notice saying that some maintenance is going on, and that something like their lists are closed for that.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 13 Oct 2003 21:06

I have had no trouble at all, but my friend, who only lives down the road can't get on all. She's on AOL, don't if that is making a difference Kim

Katwin

Katwin Report 13 Oct 2003 21:12

I'm on AOL and managed to get on yesterday, but there was a message that one of their servers was down and they were carrying out maintenance so no mail lists would be sent out. Have had problems today though.....

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 13 Oct 2003 21:15

Read your message then tried B.M.D no trouble accessing it Entered details got message to say there was an error on page I had forgotten to turn Norton off tried again was slow to start searching then just as I decided I had had enough the message came up to say no trace Bren

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 14 Oct 2003 12:00

ive also been trying for 2 days and cant gain access. glad im not the only one :((( susie

Freda

Freda Report 14 Oct 2003 12:41

Ive been having trouble with BMD either the search wont work or the site is not working its been like this for a few weeks with me. I dont bother with it unless i need to.

Penny

Penny Report 14 Oct 2003 12:52

I may not be suggesting anything new here, but as Ive just tried BMD and its absolutely fine for me I wonder if you have the 'Welchia' virus on your computer. My ISP, Tesco's sent an email how to check for it BMD website did have a message a week or so ago about this virus saying that it was making their website very slow or inaccesible for users who were affected by it. The Virus just makes browsing the internet very slow so pages don't always load. I'm no computer expert but if you want me to email the Tescos instructions for identifing and removing the virus just let me know. Penny

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 14:16

I can't get access to FreeBMD either. As a transcriber, I am on their mailing list, and normally receive at least one mailing a day. I've received nothing since last Wednesday (8th October) so they are obviously having serious problems. I dare say that all will be revealed in time ......... Janet

Penny

Penny Report 14 Oct 2003 14:20

Janet when I accessed their site earlier there was the following new message One of RootsWeb's mailing lists servers (lists2) has been taken offline for maintenance. Any unprocessed mail will be distributed after the server is brought back online. This unfortunately is affecting all the FreeBMD Mailing Lists. This information was correct as on 13 October 2003 and RootsWeb is unable to confirm when the server will be back on line. Also for some strange reason I cannot access BMD first time always takes my second attempt though. Hope this helps Penny

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 14:27

Thanks for the information Penny - I'll expect a HUGE backlog at some point then!!! Still can't get on the site though ......... !! Must be the luck of the draw ........ Janet

Vicky

Vicky Report 14 Oct 2003 15:49

while your waiting for bmd to come back try this one www(.)yorkshirebmd(.)org(.)uk I have found many relatives on there that are not on bmd regards Vicky