Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did He or Didn`t He?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 13 Oct 2003 00:07

See below

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 13 Oct 2003 00:12

??

Carol

Carol Report 13 Oct 2003 00:12

I recently received G.Grandfather`s death certificate. This gives cause of death as Shock and cardiac syncope due to haemorrhage following a cut throat self inflicted with an open razer. Died by his own act whilst the balance of his mind was disturbed owing to ill health. Although it doesn`t say so, this suggests suicide. I can remember my grandmother telling me, that he did this to let out the mucus that had accumulated in his throat. When grandmother asked why he had done it, he replied "How am I supposed to breathe with all that stuck there" The death certificate states that there was an inquest, and even if my grandmother had told the inquest this, would it have been disallowed as "hearsay"?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 13 Oct 2003 00:23

Carol I can't actually answer your question. Is it possible to get hold of the inquest records? It does on first reading seem as though it suggests suicide but having read the cause of death several times over it says everything but. The poor man was obviously so ditressed he would do anything he thought might relieve the situation. Jeanette

Keith

Keith Report 13 Oct 2003 00:25

Hi Carol. I believe that where someone makes a statement knowing that they are dying, or where they have died and there is no way of getting a statement directly from them then anything they have said would be allowed as evidence. Certainly the verdict as given is suicide. Keith

Lucky

Lucky Report 13 Oct 2003 00:27

It might be worth looking in the newspapers for the area and year. They would more than likely have written about it.

Carol

Carol Report 13 Oct 2003 00:36

This happened in Hull, I have emailed the archives, but no reply yet. I will try the Hull Daily Mail site I think This was in 1941 during the war. Sorry to be so morbid at this time of night.

Crista

Crista Report 13 Oct 2003 00:49

Carol, I say he didn't. If he wanted to commit suicide there are probably less painful ways. Crista

Carol

Carol Report 13 Oct 2003 01:03

I have now got the phone number for Hull Daily Mail archives. In my family history programme, I have copied the death certificate entry, but put in the notes what my grandmother told me. I spoke to mum, who was 17 at the time, and she remembers it well.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2003 07:42

Hi Carol, I also have an ancestor who died of self inflicted wounds of the throat, who was in an asylum at the time. I agree with Crista, there are less painful ways. I have been thinking its a stange thing to do to yourself and thought maybe it was a fellow in-mate? Regards Margaret

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Oct 2003 07:51

Hi, Sadly cutting one's throat was a "popular" form of suicide in the 19th C. It was quick and, usually, sure and everybody had access to the means to do it. Gwynne

Lucky

Lucky Report 13 Oct 2003 12:41

Put newspapers hull 1941 in google and this came up: www.yli.org.uk/newsplan/yhindex_2.htm Should be worth a look