Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

STOP THOSE MESSENGER POP UPS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Largymore

Largymore Report 11 Oct 2003 21:26

I have put a message on how to stop messenger pop ups in the last message about them. Incase you have missed it i will explain how to stop them. Open the control panel from the start menu. In category mode click on performance and maintenance. Click on administrative tools and then double-click services. Scroll down the right-hand list and double-click on the messenger entry. Click the stop button and select disabled from the startup type box. Click on the ok button to apply the changes and you won't be bothered y pop ups again! Regards Sally.

Crista

Crista Report 11 Oct 2003 21:51

Sally, The preferred method to rid your system of this annoyance is to block NetBIOS ports 135, 137, 138. and 139 through your firewall. Stopping the Messenger service is not recommended as some applications such as Anti-virus software, your printer or UPS use Messenger alerts to notify you. Crista

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 11 Oct 2003 22:14

Christa So how the heck does one do that! Sylvie

Crista

Crista Report 11 Oct 2003 22:23

Sylvie, Check your firewall manual. Every one is different. Crista

Janet

Janet Report 11 Oct 2003 22:35

Hi Sallyann, You lost me once I had gone into control panel, where is Performance and Maintenance to be found? I'm running Windows ME if that makes any difference. Hi Crista, As for Firewall - whats that? I've got an anit-virus programme (McAfree) - is that the same thing? Yours in ignorance Janet

Crista

Crista Report 11 Oct 2003 23:49

Janet, http://netsecurity.about(.)com/library/weekly/aa030503a.htm Crista

Largymore

Largymore Report 12 Oct 2003 00:28

hello Janet, go to control panel. look for administrative tool icon click on that then look for services click on that then the list will come up. scroll down on the right side and look for messenger then click on disable. continue from there. any problems will be on line tomorrow. regards Sallyann.