Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My ggrandmother is driving me crazy!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 11 Oct 2003 18:20

My ggrandmother is driving me crazy! According to the 1901 census she was born in Walthamstowe, Essex. Her name was Ethelinda FREEMAN and she was born c. 1858 (I say circa because the documents I do have all disagree!!) In 1874 she married Richard HUMPHREYS. He died soon afterwards and she then married my ggrandfather Frederick BERRETT in 1884. I have copies of both marriage certificates and have found Ethelinda BERRETT on the 1901 census. However, I cannot track down her birth details anywhere - and I can also find no trace of Ethelinda FREEMAN or Ethelinda HUMPHREYS on any census. Her father was John FREEMAN who, presumably, also lived in Walthamstowe at some point. Has anyone got any bright ideas? Please!

Carol

Carol Report 11 Oct 2003 18:41

I have her as being 32 in 1891 living in Fulham. Berrett, Ethelinda Relationship: Wife County: London Age: 32 Civil Parish: Fulham Gender: Female ED: 16 Where Born: Essex, Walthamstow Eccl. Parish: St Clement Piece: RG12/47 Town: Folio: 175 Page: 47

Carol

Carol Report 11 Oct 2003 18:51

I couldn`t find her birth on 1837online in 1859 or Dec 1858

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 11 Oct 2003 19:12

Carol - Many thanks! I couldn't find her on the 1837 either and spent a good part of my day at the PRO searching in vain! Max- sounds like you're going to have a busy day! Thank you so much. Will post my message on your Tuesday thread.

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 12 Oct 2003 01:14

A nice guy called Andy from North Yorkshire has emailed me an hour or so ago, having found Ethelinda hiding in the 1881 census! Success... and she had a son from her first marraiage I knew nothing about...! So now, at 1.15 on a Sunday morning I've begun a whole new line of research trying to find out about the death of her husband, Richard HUMPHREYS, the birth of her son, Richard HUMPHREYS... and the presumed death of her son, Richard HUMPHREYS!!! Why do we always make these tantalizing breakthroughs at such unearthly hours of the night? But now it seems that BMD has gone down again... Time for bed I guess!