Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy AND canal enthusiasts?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 11 Oct 2003 15:55

There's a combination! Long shot I know. I have been searching for ages for a site where I might contact some organisation, person, archive etc. that may keep information on people who drowned in out inland waterways! I have a great uncle that did so - in very mysterious circumstances (his parlour was full of swimming medals!!) Grand Union Canal in the North Kensington area of London I did email the waterways but ne'er received a reply Any thoughts please? Sylvie

Stephen

Stephen Report 11 Oct 2003 16:37

There is an article in the current edition of Your Family Tree magazine and a few contacts.There is a John Roberts of 52 St Andrews Road Sutton Coalfield West Midlands B75 6OH he is collecting information for " The Waterways Index". Suggest you contact him he may be able to help. Good Luck. He wishes to receive any information to add to his index.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 11 Oct 2003 16:38

Hiya Sylvie - not a canal enthusiast but did notice in Nov issue of "Your Family Tree" mag an interesting aritcle on "Life on the Canals". Several interesting sites i.e. London Canal Museum www(.)canalmuseums(.)org(.)uk The Canal Museum www(.)thewaterwaytrust(.)co(.)uk The Waterways Index - postal enquries to John Roberts, 52 St Andrews Road Sutton Coldfield, B75 6OH Canal Junction www(.)canaljunction(.)com Canalia www(.)canalia(.)com National Waterways Museum www(.)thewaterwaytrust(.)co(.)uk (delete the brackets etc) You might have more luck trying the local Coroner for the area where the accident occurred, or even the local Newspaper for the day - unfortunately I think drownings in canals are pretty everyday occurrences, so unlikely to have raised more than an eyebrow. Good luck anyway, hope the above is useful to you. Jacqui

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 11 Oct 2003 17:10

Thanks all, I will get on the case. It just might have reached the papers. My Aunt tells me that the great uncle witnessed a fatal road accident in which a mother and child were killed and he gave evidence in court. As the man was found guilty, he said "I'll get you when i come out of prison". The great uncle died very shortly after the man was released! Unfortunately, family members who recall the events give dates varying from 1939-1952! I can't even find his birth from a possible two mothers and two fathers! Oh well - keep hunting Sylvie