Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which census are avaliable for HAMPSHIRE & DORSET

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katie

Katie Report 10 Oct 2003 23:58

Could someone please tell me which censuses have been transcribed either on CD or the internet for HAMPSHIRE, DORSET & DEVON. The majority of my relatives come from these areas and I would like to be able to search for them on censuses. It is currently impossible for me to visit the FRC or local libraries and if there are any censuses OTHER THAN 1881, 1891 and 1901 then I would really appreciate anyone who could let me know where they are avaliable. Thank you, -Kat

Carol

Carol Report 11 Oct 2003 00:02

I have the 1851 Devon on cd. Give me some names and I will have a look. It is the LDS one, which actually covers Devon Norfolk and Warwickshire.

Carol

Carol Report 11 Oct 2003 00:03

genuki is a good place to find this information. Click on the county you want and scroll down to censuses, it will give you details of what is available.

Deborah

Deborah Report 11 Oct 2003 00:22

Hi Katrina, The 1851 for Hampshire is available in booklet form from Hampshire FHS. Can order and pay on-line, very cheap this way. I have 1861 for Devon, will do a look up for you, but need as much info as possible as it is NOT INDEXED in any way. Debbie

Katie

Katie Report 11 Oct 2003 01:02

Hi ladies! Thanks for the info! Here are the details... The DEVON info I have is very sketchy I'm afraid: My g-g grandmother was born in 1867 Margy Lamba Burns (should be Margey Lambert Burns but was indexed as above) Her Father: JOHN LAMBERT BURNS born approx 1844 Her Mother: JANE GREEP born approx 1843 They married in STOKE DAMEREL (devenport) which is also where Maggie was born. Their marriage cert (which I am not sure is the correct one but looks like it) says... JOHN's FATHER: THOMAS BURNS a Confectioner (b c1824?) JANE GREEP's Father: WILLIAM GREEP (b c1823?) JANE GREEP MOTHER: SARAH WILLMOTT Other than that I know nothing. If you can find anything for DEVON there I would be very grateful. ------ Here is the DORSET information: John Allen, born approx 1800? he had 2 sons I know of... Andrew Allen born c1829 in Bridport/Symmondsbury or Eype area. Joseph Allen born c1825 in Bridport/Symmondsbur or Eype area. ANDREW ALLEN married FLORA ROGERS of Yeovil in 1850. Andrew ALLEN & Flora had... Bowden or Charles c1853 dorset Ezekiel or Eykee c1855 dorset Abigail c1856 dorset other kids of Andrews & Flora's POSSIBLY. William 1851 bridport (GRO: march, vol 8, page 93) Joseph 1851 bridport (GRO: march, vol 8, page ??) John 1852 bridport (GRO: Dec, vol 5a, page 399) Charles 1856 bridport (GRO: march, vol 5a, page 386) K Louise 1856 bridport (GRO: march, vol 5a, page 3??) Mary Anne 1860 bridport (GRO: march, vol 5a, page 388) James 1860 bridport (GRO: june,vol 5a, page 753) They moved to Portsmouth in the 1860's (it seems that the followed Joseph there). Other than this I know nothing. The second lot of kids names there were given me by a relative who had searched some indexes somewhere.I think they are just all the ALLEN children born in bridport at that time so if you could find out if they are connected or not that would be wondeful! ------------------------- Thank you both so much for the kind offers of help, I will look at that website and see if there is anything I can buy that will be useful. If you ever need anything checked on Ancestry.com (1891census or VRI) then just email me and I will gladly check for you. Take Care, -Kat

Carol

Carol Report 11 Oct 2003 01:20

Katrina, I found a John Burns of the right age, but the fathers name is different. Could be related though. Couldnt find a Thomas within the age range. This is from the 1851 Head: BURNS, Peter Neighbors 76260 Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace Peter BURNS Head M 35 M Labourer Devonport-DEV Harriet BURNS Wife M 27 F --- Forder-CON John BURNS Son - 7 M Scholar Devonport-DEV William BURNS Son - 5 M Scholar Devonport-DEV Address: 13 Princess St Tenement, Devonport Census Place: Stoke Damerel Stoke Damerel, Devonshire PRO Reference: HO/107/1882 Folio: 111 Page: 9 FHL Film: 0221031 Head: GREEP, William Neighbors 53993 Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace William GREEP Head M 34 M Ag Lab Newton Ferrers-DEV Sarah GREEP Wife M 35 F --- Brixton-DEV Jane GREEP Daur U 8 F --- Newton Ferrers-DEV Eliza GREEP Daur U 6 F --- Yealmpton-DEV George Henry GREEP Son U 6m M --- Yealmpton-DEV Jane WILLMOTT WifM W 77 F Pauper Widow Of An Ag Lab Yealmpton-DEV Samuel DOLTON Neph U 21 M Ag Lab Brixton-DEV Address: Church Hill Cottage, Plympton St Mary Census Place: Yealmpton Plympton St Mary, Devonshire PRO Reference: HO/107/1877 Folio: 248 Page: 11 FHL Film: 0221025

Deborah

Deborah Report 11 Oct 2003 12:30

Hi Katrina, Had to pop out. Just seen your message, will have a look now. Might take a while! Debbie

Katie

Katie Report 11 Oct 2003 14:52

Thanks Carol - That certainly does look like my Jane Greep doesn't it! My problem with both is that there are 2 marriage certs. I think they married in 1867 as their daughter was born later that year. But in 1870 there is a registration page where a Jane Greep and a John Burns married. Whether they married each other I don't know, but they married on the same day in Stoke Damerel! I have the cert for the top two but no way of really varifying the details until the new cert comes. Thank you ever so much for looking - I am so grateful for the Greep info as I couldn't find anything before! Which disk is it that you have? And could you please tell me where I might be able to buy one? Thanks again - and let me know if you ever need anything from Ancestry (unless you too have a membership which makes the offer pointless!) -Kat

Deborah

Deborah Report 11 Oct 2003 15:20

Katrina, Haven't forgotten you - still searching! Debbie

Katie

Katie Report 11 Oct 2003 15:22

Thanks Deborah - I really appreciate it. Sorry to put you to any trouble! -Kat

Deborah

Deborah Report 11 Oct 2003 18:35

Hi Katrina, I'm sorry, I have not been able to locate them in Stoke Damerel, though some of the pages are very poor. Perhaps they were not there in 1861. I'm afraid without any form of index it's abit like looking for a needle in a haystack if they are not where you expect them to be. If I come across them eleswhere I'll be sure to let you know. Apologies again Debbie

Katie

Katie Report 11 Oct 2003 21:10

Thank you both so much! Deborah, I am sorry to have put you to so much trouble for nothing! From the information that Carol has given me it looks as though they may have been in PLYMOUTH and not Stoke Damerel at that time. Many thanks, -Kat