Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't find Death Record for GGrandfather? Suggesti

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 9 Oct 2003 23:18

I can't find any record for the death of my GGrandfather EDWARD JESSE CLARK. I found his wife, his daughter, his son-in-law - even found their graves! Just can't find him. Problem is I don't know when he died! I only know he was alive in 1917 when his daughter got married, and deceased in 1944 when she re-married! Wife, daughter and son-in-law died and buried in/around Heathfield, East Sussex. Have pestered the life out of the poor old vicar about the records but Edward just isn't there! Any ideas how to go forward on this one please?

Patricia

Patricia Report 9 Oct 2003 23:26

What you need to do is trace back the electrol rolls to try to find out what area he was living in, or even telephone directories, question your family for ideas.

Linda

Linda Report 9 Oct 2003 23:42

Hi Patricia, I don't have any family to ask about him. I realise now that I should have started my research about 30 years ago! Would have been much simpler then, could have asked my Grandmother. I'll investigate the Electoral Registers. I know he lived in Vines Cross, Near Heathfield in East Sussex and assumed that he would be buried with his wife. Thanks for your suggestions. Linda.

Mary

Mary Report 10 Oct 2003 00:23

Hi there Linda One thought just sprang to mind, was he in WW1? He could have been killed between 1917 and 1918. In that case try the War Graves site. If he died after this date then I would think he was buried in the same grave as his wife. Write to the Cemetery Dept of the town where his wife was buried giving them details of her death and they will probably be able to tell you who else was in her grave Best of luck. Mary

Yvette

Yvette Report 10 Oct 2003 18:51

Linda Just a thought, have you been to your nearest main library? They hold GRO death records, as well as birth and marriages, on microfiche and you can search through each quarter and year for his name and details to then send for his death certificate. It takes time but I found the details of a relative this way. Good luck. Yvette

Linda

Linda Report 10 Oct 2003 20:41

Yvette and Mary: Thanks for your suggestions. I know he isn't buried with his wife, I found her grave and their daughter is buried with her. For some reason I hadn't even considered the possibility of him going off to war! I will take a trip to the local Library and see if I can find any trace of him there; after I've checked the War Graves Site. Thanks to you both. Linda.